Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Upgrading ATA 3.3.2 to 3.4.2 only half successful

Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:48 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
[SOLVED] Upgrading ATA 3.3.2 to 3.4.2 only half successful

I'm able to successfully upgrade my personal test site from Atahualpa 3.3.2 to the latest 3.4.2. --

Note: I did it the old-fashioned way, FTP uploading the new directory "atahualpa342" into "/wp/wp-content/themes/". In the WordPress Dashboard I'm able to choose/switch -- activating either version of Atahualpa.

http://www.shepherdjim.com/

Unfortunately, I have custom code inserted into the theme's "index.php" file which creates the "Hatchtown Update" box on the landing page. The code that was created awhile back under Flynn's direction takes the latest blog post in the "Announcements" and puts it in the box on the front page.

When I insert the code block into index.php the site crashes -- the browser screen shows:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/content/m/i/n/mineolajim/html/wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpa342/index.php on line 114

I've looked at the new and old index.php's and there's quite a difference.

Help!

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Sep 12, 2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: completely re-vamped
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
strange, there is no line 114 in index.php and I've been using both swapping bacling forth for awhile now. I'll send you a PM about looking at it
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
HeyJDad!

It's the index.php that's contained in the Atahualpa root directory "shepherdjim.com/wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpa332/index.php"

In Ata 332 -- currently running at http://www.shepherdjim.com/

index.php has 347 lines

In Ata 342

the new index.php has 40 lines (obviously been some big changes in what index.php is doing!!)

The full index.php in Ata 332 running on the site has 425 lines because, as I said, I've inserted "custom code" -- the block is in place immediately following:

<?php get_header(); ?>

When I insert the same block of code in the new (Ata 342) index.php the site breaks.

Here's the block of "custom code":

<!-- EC3 start = post my announcements category +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->
<?php if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
<div class="ec3ctr">
<div class="announce">
<h3 style="text-align: center; color: #797C00;">Hatchtown Update</h3>
<?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=announcements&showposts=1' );
while ($my_query->have_posts()) : $my_query->the_post(); ?>
<!-- ++++ -->
<!-- Post Headline -->
<div class="post-headline">
<h2><?php
if( !is_single() AND !is_page() ) { ?>
<a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php
if (function_exists('the_title_attribute')) {
the_title_attribute();
}
elseif (function_exists('the_title')) {
the_title();
} ?>"><?php
} the_title();
if( !is_single() AND !is_page() ) { ?>
</a><?php
} ?>
</h2>
</div>

<!-- ++++ -->

<?php // Post Byline
if( (is_home() && $bfa_ata_post_byline_home != "") OR
(is_page() && $bfa_ata_post_byline_page != "") OR
(is_single() && $bfa_ata_post_byline_single != "") OR
( (is_archive() OR is_search() OR is_author() OR is_tag()) && $bfa_ata_post_byline_multi != "") ) {
echo '<div class="post-byline">';
if ( is_home() ) { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_byline_home"); }
elseif ( is_page() ) { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_byline_page"); }
elseif ( is_single() ) { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_byline_single"); }
else { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_byline_multi"); }
echo '</div>';
} ?>

<!-- Post Body Copy -->
<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">
<?php if ((is_home() && $bfa_ata_excerpts_home == "Full Posts") OR
(is_category() && $bfa_ata_excerpts_category == "Full Posts") OR
(is_date() && $bfa_ata_excerpts_archive == "Full Posts") OR
(is_tag() && $bfa_ata_excerpts_tag == "Full Posts") OR
(is_search() && $bfa_ata_excerpts_search == "Full Posts") OR
(is_author() && $bfa_ata_excerpts_author == "Full Posts") OR
is_single() OR
is_page() OR (is_home() AND !is_paged() AND $postcount <= $bfa_ata_full_posts_homepage) ) {
$bfa_ata_more_tag_final = str_replace("%post-title%", the_title('', '', false), $bfa_ata_more_tag);
the_content(bfa_escape($bfa_ata_more_tag_final));
} else {
the_excerpt();
} ?>
</div>

<?php // Post Footer
if( (is_home() && $bfa_ata_post_footer_home != "") OR
(is_page() && $bfa_ata_post_footer_page != "") OR
(is_single() && $bfa_ata_post_footer_single != "") OR
( (is_archive() OR is_search() OR is_author() OR is_tag()) && $bfa_ata_post_footer_multi != "") ) {
echo '<div class="post-footer">';
if ( is_home() ) { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_footer_home"); }
elseif ( is_page() ) { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_footer_page"); }
elseif ( is_single() ) { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_footer_single"); }
else { echo postinfo("$bfa_ata_post_footer_multi"); }
echo '</div>';
} ?>

<!-- EC3 end of my announce div +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

I'm guessing, if my block of code will still work, it'll have to be "inserted" somewhere new.

Jim

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Sep 14, 2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This code looks like it could go in 'The LOOP' - see ATO->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->The LOOP
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:58 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Wow! There are some big changes in the ATO "control suite" !!

Sorry, but I'll need more hints. I took the old block of code that Flynn had long ago cooked for me and inserted it in various places in both the "loop" and "before the loop" windows at ATO->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->The LOOP with no joy. I would always get the front_page but my "Hatchtown Update" would NOT appear -- AND I'd get some variation of the error notice:
"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/content/m/i/n/mineolajim/html/wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpa342/functions.php(396) : eval()'d code on line 82"
I'm wondering if there might not nowadays be some other way to skin this cat.

If you look at http://www.shepherdjim.com/, all that's happening is that the latest post in the category "Announcements" is appearing in the box at the top of the center column of the home/landing static page.

Jim
Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
let me see if I understand

1) your landing page is not the blog, just a page
2) you have a category called 'Announcements' (and other categories)
3) the latest post in the a'announcements is sisplayed in a box on the landing page

Have I got that right?