Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Space Between Right Sidebar and Center Column

Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
customizedwed

3 posts · Aug 2010
Hi all,

On my homepage (blog page), I'm noticing that there is a chunk of space between the center column and the sidebar and I'm very uncertain as to how to get rid of it. Can you help? The page in question is http://www.customizedweddingcreations.com/blog/. I very much appreciate any help you can provide bearing in mind that I'm a novice at this. Thanks.

Cherin
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it's caused by the settings at ato->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->Center column style
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
customizedwed

3 posts · Aug 2010
Thank you. I did find that before, but when I adjusted the padding, it still didn't work right. I played around with it, but all that kept happening was everything would shift over (on the left behind my left sidebar). What am I doing wrong?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well how big have you defined your sidebar to be and what is the size in the info going in it?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 05:38 PM
customizedwed

3 posts · Aug 2010
The sidebar is set at 160, but I think the Flickr widget might be the issue. I'll take a look. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Make the sidebar bigger or the flicker content narrower
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:51 AM
jasontbedell

75 posts · Dec 2010
Juggledad,

I am having a similar problem.
The site I'm working on have a fixed layout of 1280px and I am trying to keep all the body content to 1101px.

Originally, I had the padding in Style Center Column set to 30px 69px 0 69px. I removed that, except for the top, but the chunk of space remains. Oddly, it is exactly 69px. I tried td#middle{padding-right:-69px} and td#right{padding-left:-69px}. Any ideas what it could be?

Running WP 3.04 and Atahualpa 3.5.3.
Thanks again,
Jason.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what is the url ?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:16 AM
jasontbedell

75 posts · Dec 2010
Sorry. litteacher.com, but I haven't figured out how to get it to show up on the multipost (body.blog) page without also showing up on the homepage, so at the moment, it is only on the single-post pages, like http://litteacher.com/do-you-speak-academia/.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
check your setting at ATO->Style POSTS & PAGES->POST Container
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
jasontbedell

75 posts · Dec 2010
That is indeed where it was. Thank you. That brings up a new issue though. While it filled in the space, the sidebar is still pushed our past the rest of the content and cutting the width in half even does not help.
  • Is there a way to align the right edge of the sidebar with right edge of the header? I was hoping that having the body content set to 1101px, that it would just subtract whatever the width of the sidebar happened to be.
  • Is it possible to only have that specific margin applied to body.blog and body.single?
  • Is it possible to have the bottom edge of the sidebar stop wherever the post content stops so that it does not continue to move downward?

Last edited by jasontbedell; Jan 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:49 AM
shoshana

2 posts · Jan 2011
How do I move the sidebar up so that there is no space between the header image and the sidebar? My url is www.judaism1on1.com
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
css inserts
td#header{padding-bottom:15px;}
remove it
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:50 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Also the images in your left sidebar are wider than the sidebar which makes the margin between the left sidebar and the content less than on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by customizedwed
Hi all,

On my homepage (blog page), I'm noticing that there is a chunk of space between the center column and the sidebar and I'm very uncertain as to how to get rid of it. Can you help? The page in question is http://www.customizedweddingcreations.com/blog/. I very much appreciate any help you can provide bearing in mind that I'm a novice at this. Thanks.

Cherin
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:30 AM
chjan

10 posts · Dec 2010
As can be seen at http://www.hdsoundlab.com/?page_id=20,

as an example, I have succeeded in injecting a right margin to the centre column on all pages, by defining a "inner right sidebar" of 100px that is invisible. Is there a more logic way to define a right margin ? I have tried to inject a margin-right at ato/.../ center column style, but regardles of padding/margin I specify here, I see no effect

The purpose is to avoid that the text of any page is "colliding" with the right sidebar. (Use google chrome for better view). Thanks!

Last edited by chjan; Jan 5, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
add some left padding to the right sidebar (ato->RIGHT sidebar style) then ou could increase the size of the right sidebar to compensate, if you wanted to
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:25 AM
chjan

10 posts · Dec 2010
Yes, but if I understand things correctly,this is not an optimal solution, because it creates a dependency between the background of the right sidebar (white in my case) and the background of the page (atahualpa blue with a tint of alpha). Inter alias, padding-left on right sidebar will maintain the "colliding effect". Or ?

Thus, I ask if right-margin is not working and if this is a bug?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The center area is a row of a table, the left and left-inner sidebars, center, right-inner and right sidebars are all cells in the table. you can't put padding on one part of a table cell. Your method of using the right-inner sidebar to get your padding is a good solution to do what you want.