Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

sub pages as vertical menu (in left side of screen)

Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:16 AM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
Hi,
I normally use this great template for designing static websites. Meaning that I normally strip away all blog features (categories, posts, side bars etc).

My question is this:
I wish to keep my main page menu at the top of the screen. But when clicking the menu "buttons" the sub menus "show up" as a vertical menu in the left side of the screen - where you would normally find the left sidebar.
I am sure this a really basic function but can't seem to find it! - Please help!

I am no good at code so please be patient!
Many thanks.,...

----------------------------
Menu1 Menu2 Menu3
----------------------------
submenu1 |
submenu2 | Content
submenu3 |
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:26 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
There are plugins that will show the sub pages of the current page. Just do a search on wordpress.org in the plugins section and try a few of the newest ones to see which does what you want.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:39 AM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
I am not really sure what to look for in the forum - I already have browsed around - but perhaps it is because i am too inexpereinced or a visual kind-of-guys - so I don't understand very much of whats going on in here (or the forum)!

Perhaps you (or someone else) has got an name for a plugin/widget or a quick guide to splitting up the Main page menu (in the top) and sub menus placed in the left sidebar??

I mean it must be really easy since I have seen it on thousands of static websites, such as:

http://www.danaweb.dk/referencer.html
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:49 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I wasn't talking about a search on this forum. I was talking about a search at wordpress.org which is where I spend a lot of time. Here is one plugin that MAY do what you want.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:48 AM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
WOWWW! This is amazing - your are a God, mayn! I'm dancing around in my apartment right now! Thanks a million... :0)

See: http://mindehoej.web.surftown.dk/wordpress/?page_id=19

The only small problem with this plugin is that the Top menu is still showing the submenus on rollover ("Kontakt")!

Do you know how to disable this funtion?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:59 AM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
And it is also showing the main menus on the other pages which do not have submenus.

See: http://mindehoej.web.surftown.dk/wordpress/?page_id=108
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:18 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I'm glad I could help but I am not God. There is only one of Him. As for the subpages showing in the menu bar go to ATO>Page Menu Bar and put the IDs of the pages you don't want to show in "Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar?"
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:49 AM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
Sorry for keep bugging you King! This is not what i am after. Because I am not interested in excluding pages from the topmenu. The top menu should always be there and pages containing submenus should show these submenus in the left side!!

If you look at this:
http://mindehoej.web.surftown.dk/wordpress/?page_id=19

You will see that the submenus show perfectly in the left side on the "Kontakt" page. But there is a roll over effect on the topmenu named "Kontakt". I am not interested in that rollover effects! Do you know how to turn it off?

Problem 2> If you see:
http://mindehoej.web.surftown.dk/wordpress/?page_id=15

You will see that all the topmenus are now also shown in the left side. I am only interested in seeing submenus, in the left side, on pages that actually have submenus.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:12 PM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
I have now found what I think you meant before.

Sidebar & Widgets>Style & configure sidebars> Left sidebar: Don't display on pages.

I have now typed in the IDs and the left menu is now gone on the pages that haven't got submenus. Perfect!.

Eventhough it seems very strange that you manually should type in the ID's for the number of the pages that your're not interested in showing - instead of an "automatic" feature that just show the submenus on the pages that actually have them!

..And this still isn't solving the problem with the visible dropdown submenu in the top (on rollover "Kontakt"). I am not interested in this - since the left side clearly shows the submenus.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I see what you mean... Try this plugin instead.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
The other one worked better. More options. When I removed the other plugin widget I also removed the IDs I had typed in on "Sidebar & Widgets>Style & configure sidebars> Left sidebar: Don't display on pages." and this plugin instead creates a empty block in the left side on pages with no submenus.

But I don't want to keep pushing you - because you have been a great help and I can properly live with the other plugin (where I have to type in the IDs)! :0)

Perhaps you can just tell me how to remove the white dropdown from the topmenu "Kontakt"?

Thanks again...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You're not pushing me. This is the way I find out about new functionality. Here is one more plugin to take a look at. I like this the best of all. To get rid of the white drop down you have to type the page IDs of the subpages in ATO>Page Menu Bar>Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar? And as you found type the IDs of the pages you don't want sidebars on in the area you mentioned.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:43 PM
Dennis

26 posts · Nov 2009
Cool I'll check out the new plugin later.

I missunderstood you before. I typed in the ID of the main page "ATO>Page Menu Bar>Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar"... of course it should be the IDs of the submenus! Silly me!! Now it works... yibiii! :0D

I learn sooo much eachtime I visit this forum. its really great!
Since your patience hasn't run out just yet. I will take great pride in helping you with your own education asking more silly questions! ;0)

Do you by any chance know the answer to the following: (also related to widgets)

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7483