Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » ThemeFrame Presales »

Options & Capabilities?

Old May 27, 2011, 10:19 AM
PowerTreb

9 posts · May 2011
Hi, it looks like you have a very promising product in the works here. I have been using Dreamweaver with WP integration to build unique sites for some clients. The sites are usually 80-90% static page with a little dynamic content. I make them in WP for those clients that want a comprehensive content management option.

The videos are really quite slim and don't give a good overview of the full capabilities (or lack of) that TF may have. I realize that this is the place for presales questions, but there are many times where you won't even know all the questions you need to ask UNTIL you see a comprehensive overview for a product or unless someone else asks a similar question that spawns your own question building phase.

I basically have a few general questions.
  1. Will there be a method or palette for creating your own options panel for each respective theme?
  2. And currently, are the themes built on standardized code that would allow me to code out my own options panel (as a relatively novice PHP guy)?
  3. I understand there are no trial versions, but do you offer a refund if the software is indeed not what I expected or if it simply ends up not suiting my needs?
Old May 27, 2011, 05:45 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
1. Yes, but this will take "several" rather than "few" weeks.

2. You can add your options panel by editing the theme's functions.php and index.php, single.php etc. files. This would be the same as adding options to a static, option-less theme that you got from wordpress.org for instance

3. You can get a refund within the period Paypal allows. Send a short email to billing AT themeframe.com
Old May 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
PowerTreb

9 posts · May 2011
Thank you for responding, Flynn. And I came up with a few more questions, mainly about style and updating.

1. If I need to change and edit a theme I create in TF say 2 months after it has been uploaded. Do I just upload certain files like the CSS and page files that were edited. or do I need to reupload the complete package.And is anything lost on the server side that needs to be fixed up after the modified theme is uploaded?

2. Is the style editor capable of creating a header that is fluid, or sits outside the #page div. While maintaining the rest of the content as fixed width within the #page div?

3. Is there anything in TF that would allow me to make rounded corners show up in IE. Maybe some IE hacks or a .JS file that can be visually assigned to work around Internet Explorer's "Let's see how many web designers we can piss off today" policy?

PS...A really comprehensive video detailing the deeper and more robust features of TF would probably ward off some of these questions.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
1. To edit a previously created theme you'd import that theme's settings file (which you would have exported earlier). This is a text file containing all the settings

2. Currently not, but this will be doable in a future release, probably the next but one version, along with a redesign of the layout "engine". As a first step, in the next version the table will be replaced with DIV's behaving like a table, with a fallback to actual tables for IE6/7. The header won't be part of a table anymore in the next version so you could (manually, by editing the files) move it outside the layout wrapper and give it its own width.

3. Rounded corners can be created automatically by checking a checkbox in the CSS Inspector: "Create this corners for IE (with Javascript)?"

The videos are kinda outdated, I'll try to make a new one within the next days. I am a bit reluctant to putting too much effort into documentation at this stage as the features/handling of TF are still evolving/changing
Old May 30, 2011, 07:17 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The fact it's named Release Candidate simply means that I consider it to be at that stage, based on what I have in mind as a "full-featured" state. It does not mean it is not functional, or crippled in functionality in a way that would make it not usable for production use.

This thread is about option pages and being able to create a rather non-standard layout. I said it's coming. These aren't exactly "basic" features. TF will have them, but not having them right now doesn't make TF not worthy of being called a "Release Candidate" - as far as I am concerned.

Regarding schedules: I don't want to start making overly long schedules just to be sure I don't cross them. I am not sure whether I made completely wrong schedules recently.

Regarding "6 months... just say so": The Release Candidate stage should take a few months now, with 6 months being the max. I definitely want to get out of RC phase and release 1.0 within 2011.

Regarding updates not working with existing themes: This is something that may happen when I implement a new, more flexible layout technique. This will be a great improvement though, and I'll try to keep older themes working as good as possible. While this is undesirable you can still create new themes, or reload old themes in old TF versions. It's not like your being left completely helpless.

Long term you'll be able to load older themes in newer TF versions, to a reasonable extent. The focus will be on providing the ability to create fresh themes for the current WP version.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:23 PM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB
Semantic debate.
"Release Candidate" does *NOT* mean:
- you have to add (a lot of) new functionality
- things may or may not break in future releases.
- and does *not* mean you plan for an envisioned some 6 months more of development.
By this definition software is not allowed to evolve. At some point developers must release a first "final" version (otherwise known as throwing in the towel), knowing full well that (yes, lots of) additional functionality will be added later.

The Chrome browser is a recent example of this: first it was able to browse the web, then it picked up an options inspector, then it picked up extensions support, then it picked up ccs3/html5... and so on. These were not minor functionality changes, they have dramatically changed Chrome since first release. Along the way, some extensions were broken with new Chrome versions, requiring extension code-rewrites. This is all part of the development cycle. I expect the same from ThemeFrame.

Last edited by mdmower; Jun 9, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:15 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I think you are comparing ThemeFrame to what would be technically possible and to what I mentioned as possible future features rather than what comparable solutions are out there. If you compare it to what is out there TF does not look that bad or unfinished in my opinion.

Some of the most popular premium themes are just themes that you edit manually based on questions and tutorials on their forum.

I did change the goal to something more advanced on the fly, based on the input from users. This did indeed move the "finished" state more into the future. Finished in the sense of "all features implemented, no more features planned". But while getting there you are still able to create themes, with functionality that you do not have elsewhere, such as the CSS inspector.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:32 AM
rlenz

12 posts · Jun 2010
@flynn: you're doing a good job! let's have a beer!! ;-)
@STB: you're doing a good job, too! thanks for your input! do you know pixologic? zb? release and final or anything - paid software and a lifetime fee-less upgrade ability are always hard on the wanting side...

robert
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:14 AM
Karin

25 posts · Oct 2009
Hi!

Where do I find this:

"3. Rounded corners can be created automatically by checking a checkbox in the CSS Inspector: "Create this corners for IE (with Javascript)?"

/Karin
Old Aug 3, 2011, 09:02 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
This is a Themeframe function.