Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

HowTo:a widget listing a category name as the title and entries for the children

Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
HowTo:a widget listing a category name as the title and entries for the children

Let's say you have several categories 'Books', 'Toys', and 'Clothes' and you want to have sub-categories under each, like this:
books->fiction, nonfiction, biography
toys->board games, card games, sports
clothing->mens, womens, children

now what you want in the sidebar is three sections

BOOKS <- NOT a link
fiction <- link
nonfiction <- link
biography <- link

TOYS <- NOT a link
board games <- link
card games <- link
sports <- link

CLOTHING <- NOT a link
mens <- link
womens <- link
children <- link

Here is how you can do this
1) get and activate exec-php plugin (http://bluesome.net/post/2005/08/18/50/)
2) setup your categories and subcategories
3) get the ID of each parent category (dashboard->Posts->Categories->Edit then look at the HTML address in the BROWSER window - the last part is '..&cat_ID=4' - in this case '4' is the ID of this category
4) Add a text widget for each parent category and make the title the name of the parent (i.e 'BOOKS', 'TOYS', "CLOTHING'
5) add the following code to the 'text' part of the widget making sure the number matches the parent category ID
HTML Code:
HTML Code:
<?php echo wp_list_categories('child_of=4'); ?>
That should do it, you will have a list of the parent category and all it's children, but only the children will have links.

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 30, 2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: changed 'wp_list_cat' to 'wp_list_categories' since 'wp_list_cat' has been deprecated
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:30 AM
cfibanez

55 posts · Apr 2010
Thanks. I'd like to do this for displaying collections of links in the right sidebar. Say category Jazz (not a link) --> subcategory Podcasts (not a link) --> TheJazzSession (link), Jazzklubb Fasching (link), ECM Records (link).

How can I do this?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is your url?

what part of the instructions did you have problems with?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:18 AM
cfibanez

55 posts · Apr 2010
Thanks.

Atahualpa is 3.4.6. Wordpress is 2.9.2.

url is http://carlosibanez.se

I understand the instructions for setting up categories of posts. I would like to do the same with the blogroll of links to external addresses. See e.g. right bar in url above.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well you can try. Use the 'wp_list_bookmarks() function (for reference see http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_...list_bookmarks)

HTML Code:
<?php wp_list_bookmarks('title_li=&category_orderby='name'&category_before=&category_after='); ?>
Old May 15, 2011, 06:48 PM
kdellama

2 posts · May 2011
Hello - thanks for the great info. I tested this out in my blog and it worked great. The only thing I would like to change (if possible) is the inclusion of the text "Categories" under each section. You can check out the site at http://socalhiker.com . Thanks again.

Ken