Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] swf in sidebar extends past page width except in IE8

Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:43 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Hi all,
firstly thanks to the Atahualpa team for all of the development that has made it one of the best, easily customised templates available.
I'm a big fan, and I've just accidentally discovered, not a bug with Atahualpa, but a bug of sorts with IE8. I have used Kimili Flash Embed to embed a swf file in my outside right sidebar (within a text widget). When testing (just to see if it would work), I inserted the flash at full size. To my very happy surprise, not only did it embed and play correctly, but it displayed outside the set 940px page width (that I'd set in the theme options).
I intended to either make the sidebar wider to accommodate it (and that would bring the swf into the page), or reduce the size of the swf so it fitted in the sidebar, but it looks really fantastic extending outside the normal page width in this instance (in FF and Chrome, but not in IE8).
In IE8 the swf is chopped off at the widget edge (inside the page width).
Would anyone know how I can get IE8 to treat the page width in the same way FF and Chrome do?

The swf plays perfectly anywhere else within a page, but it just looks great when it extends outside of the "page", so if I can overcome the IE8 problem it would be really great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Could you post a link to the site?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks Larry, Atahualpa 3.4.9, latest version of WP.
If you're arachnophobic, probably better not to visit Animated swf in right sidebar

PS I have been using Atahualpa for some time, finally donated today regardless of this being sorted or not.

Last edited by Jam; Mar 24, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Try adding the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
#text-3 {
position: relative;
}
IE seems to like position: relative with some CSS
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Hey hey! You da man! Thankyou Larry, IE8 fixed.

*hug*