Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Help changing Header styles

Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:26 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
We're trying to remove/reduce the large space placed after headings. We'd like the regular body text to start pretty much immediately following an <h4> (for instance). We like that there be space ABOVE the headings.

I thought that inserting

"h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
margin-top: 10px;
margin-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
}"

into "CSS Inserts" would override the "margin-bottom: 10px;" I'd found in the "style.css" file, but the space following the <h4>'s is still there.

Do I have to actually edit the "style.css"? Should we EVER be making changes to "style.css"??

I am having fun! Despite what's thought about us "old dogs" -- we can learn a new trick now and then AND we really enjoy the process!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You should not edit style.css if possible. CSS Edits should always overwrite style.css

Even if the margin is 0, h1-6 heading still have a minimum space around them. Add line-height: value; or negative margins margin-bottom: -5px; to further decrease the margin below/above headings

I am using a single heading type (h2) in the following example as you probably wouldn't want to give all heading h1-h6 the same line height:
HTML Code:
h2 {
line-height: 0.8;
}
The value can be just a number (x times of normal), px or em.

To limit the style to the content of post/page bodies:

HTML Code:
.post-bodycopy h2 {
}
or

HTML Code:
.post-bodycopy h2,
.post-bodycopy h3,
.post-bodycopy h4,
.post-bodycopy h5 {
}