Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Auto archive Posts

Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:13 AM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
[SOLVED] Auto archive Posts

Hi,
ATA 3.7.3 WP 3.4.1

I wish to auto remove some posts after a specific date. i.e. "church bazaar on September 1st" would be removed September 2nd.

I do not want to delete the posts but place them in an 'Archive category'.

The archived category posts would then only be available from a sidebar widget, probably titled something like 'Past Events'. (accordingly "church bazaar Sep 1st" would show up).

I can find plugins that will remove the posts after a date but they are either deleted or marked as pending.

Can any one help please.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
all posts are stored in the wp-posts table and they are eithor 'published' or not.
an archive is just a list of old posts grouped by month.

so if you have a blog page and keep presing the 'older posts' button, you will evenutally page thru all your posts.

You could get around this by setting up a category - say 'news' and then just displaying that category on your blog page (you would have to use a template like the 'multi column/custom query' templete that is included in 3.7.7) then after the event, changing the category yo 'old news' and then it wouldn't show up in the blog page.

I've set this up at our church go we have a page to display 'general news' another for 'youth news', one for 'children news' and one for 'missons'. Now people can write a post and check off the category and that is the page it will show on.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:21 AM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks juggledad,
I'll think on your ideas but at present I am still looking for a 'one shot' solution so that when I first publish a post I can set all parameters and (hopefully) forget about it.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you search wordpress.org? This plugin might do what you want.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:45 AM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
Hi Larry

Yes, I am playing around with Post Expirator & Content Schedular.

I have tried a google and WP forum search but am finding problems in how to word my search !!
I asked on this forum (no BS) as it has knowledgeable persons who are willing to help.

I will probably stay with P Expirator and have presently set it to rename outdated posts to a category of 'Old Posts'.

The problem with this is that some of the outdated posts (re assigned to 'Old Post' cat) still show up in the Latest Posts widget.

Accordingly, my next search will be for a 'Latest Post' widget whereby I can set it to only show certain categories and I will exclude 'Old Post' category.

I am probably looking for a 'perfect' answer which frequently does not exist.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:29 AM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
Thank you juggledad & larry for your willingness to assist (as always).

My problem is now solved in the following manner:

1. down load Recent Posts Plus plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/recent-posts-plus/ I used advice from page http://www.pagedon.com/exclude-category-posts/goodies/

2. down load Post Expirator plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-expirator/ I used change category name at date that I needed the post to be removed, my new cat name was old_posts

at the end of the posts useful life it is automatically re-categorised as 'old-posts' and this category is excluded from the plugin Recent Posts Plus

I think this has solved my need for a one shot auto feature BUT only time will tell.