Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] How can I control the differences between Firefox 3.x and IE7+ ?

Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:32 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Information [SOLVED] How can I control the differences between Firefox 3.x and IE7+ ?

Hi,

I'm using the wp-customized-login plugin to over-ride the standard WP login page ... which isn't terribly important as far as this issue goes other than as background ... although I will share the code when I finally get my fully customized login/registration/lost password pages working. And. It's very close.

In fact it is so close there is only one section of code that is mis-behaving -- this is from the custom-login.css:

Code:
/* have to put something here or the WP logo shows up, so make it disappear with 0x0px, ... */
/* adding margin-top moves the form down below the new header image defined in the body section, */
/* however, the position margin-top sets on the page varies between Firefox and IE 7, though not fatally */

#login h1 a{background:url(ftr-it-header-image1-300x37.jpg) no-repeat; width:0px; height:0px; margin-left:0px;margin-top:145px}
Everything works great, except for the margin-top: property. It dials in perfectly where I want it for Firefox, but is quite a bit lower on the page in IE7 ... though not "fatally".

It seems like here should be a way of determining which browser I'm on, so I can adjust accordingly. Yes/No? ... Research on W3C, etc. hasn't turned up any solutions.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:08 AM
shedhed

52 posts · Mar 2009
Bramhall, UK
Take a look at this:-

http://neilkilbride.blogspot.com/200...7-firefox.html

It's a CSS hack but it works. There may be a "purer" way of doing this but I'm no CSS guru. On my pre-Wordpress site I had to have quite a few of these to get similar views across all the browswers.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:38 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Wow! Perfect! This one needs a sticky on it!

Here's the working code (note: I don't have IE6 so I don't know what the setting is, hence no code to test for it right now):

Code:
#login h1 a{background:url(ftr-it-header-image1-300x37.jpg) no-repeat; width:0px; height:0px; margin-left:0px;margin-top:147px;.margin-top:70px;}
Thank you so much Shedhed. Once again you've come to the rescue.

Okay. It really is time to go to bed now. I'll do the full write-up on tweaking wp-customized-login tomorrow.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:21 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Shedhed,

As promised (I couldn't stand it, I had to finish this before heading for bed), here is the writeup on how to customize the wp-customized-login plugin:

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...=8998#post8998

G'night.