Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

"Magazine" layout or "other", still trying to do this simply...

Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
RuBeQK

26 posts · Jan 2010
I read through the entire create 2 columns sticky post, but it's over my nuB head... I also carefully looked through the WP plugin lists.... and searched this forum...(especially "magaine" style).... still don't get it...

What I'm trying to achieve functionally is something like one sees in these two websites, where each of the several areas is displaying title/excerpts either from specific categories in it's own blog, or feeds from other blogs. So simultaneously on one web page are areas highlighting content from a variety of sources. And they're not all on sidebars, but (in the first example) distributed all over the page...

For examples:
http://www.commondreams.org
http://blog.zinio.com/

Is it possible to do this with ATA settings and plugins/widgets, ie: without much code changing? Help appreciated - thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:37 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The term "simply" is quite relative but what you want to accomplish could probably be achieved with sidebars and/or new widget areas. Sidebars would be the easiest. You can set sidebar widths, have up to 4 natively and put widgets that would show posts from other feeds and/or show posts from your blog.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
RuBeQK

26 posts · Jan 2010
Thanks, Larry, but what about the center column? Would it work if i set the center column width to "0" on that page (or would that create other problems)?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I never tried it but you would probably set the side bar widths to equal the width of the layout as I know of no way to set the center to 0 in the options. Let's both try it and report back the results.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
My layout width was 990px and I had two sidebars at 200px so the center was 590px. I set the sidebars to 495px and that eliminated the center column where posts and pages would typically show. Makes for interesting layout possibilities.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
RuBeQK

26 posts · Jan 2010
Setting the sidebar width works (yeah!), but how can I make that apply to one page only (likely either my homepage or another page)? Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
One thing that comes to mind is set the Outer Right and Outer left to the wide widths and have them set to only show on front page. Then set the Inner Right and Inner left to "normal" widths and have them show on everything but the front page.

You could also do this with widget areas but if this solution works it's easier.