Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

How to upgrade from 3.4.4 to 3.4.5?

Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
pintopintogorgorito

1 posts · Jan 2010
Hi
please, How to upgrade from 3.4.4 to 3.4.5 without losing configuration, header images and other things?
I have read an old thread but I'm not sure.
Thanks
[UPDATED POST]
I have just read other post that says:

Download the zip-file with new version
In Appearance > Add New Themes > Upload
Browse and add your zip-file > Install Now
Activate theme
Normally, all your settings will be retained as they were with the old version.

And later he says that i must make copy of my header images (before upgrading).
is this correct?
have i to save anything more?

Thanks

Last edited by pintopintogorgorito; Jan 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
kleinsasser.eu

16 posts · Jan 2010
Austria
Quote:
have i to save anything more?
You've to save any file you had made changes to.
For me this means, that comments.php, header.jpg AND header.php must be saved.
Nobody knows to which files you've done changes.

Any other setting via the Admin-CP in Wordpress are saved in mysql-Database.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you added images to the images/header/ folder and do an automatic upgrade, the folder maybe wiped out with the images from the theme. This is why you want to backup any images you have put there.

Personally, I do the update manually. I
- download the theme to my computer
- unzip the folder and make sure it has the name of the version
- copy in my header images, deleting the supplied images
- FTP the folder to the themes folder
This way I can switch between versions just in case I missed something - this does require that I adjust URL names if I'm using the full path name to get to an image, but I'm ok with that.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I want to put a second in for Juggledad's method. It's nice to know that if I screw up I can go back. Another plus is that on the outside chance there is a bug in the newer theme you are not dead in the water.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:30 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I do the same thing.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
Burn

32 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
If you added images to the images/header/ folder and do an automatic upgrade, the folder maybe wiped out with the images from the theme. This is why you want to backup any images you have put there.

Personally, I do the update manually. I
- download the theme to my computer
- unzip the folder and make sure it has the name of the version
- copy in my header images, deleting the supplied images
- FTP the folder to the themes folder
This way I can switch between versions just in case I missed something - this does require that I adjust URL names if I'm using the full path name to get to an image, but I'm ok with that.
This is exactly what I've done... But I have one bug that appeared... the background-color used in the dropdown menu reappeared while it was gone with succes in the 3.4.4..
I've been looking at it for 2 hours now without success...
Since the options in the tabel arent changed, I dont suspect it could come from here... but looking at the css or the bfa_header-config.php file, I cant figure out where is that annoying colour...

If anyone feels like checking that for me I would love it!
http://2010.gathering.nl (please keep that URL for yourself )

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:58 AM
Burn

32 posts · Nov 2009
forget it.. it was something in my css insert that didnt work properly for whatever reason.. it's fixed :D
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:45 AM
catastrophy

52 posts · Jan 2010
Nice France
juggledad way of doing is perfect !

just the problem of this theme ( more a disadvantage) is that you have to clear the cookies of the browser to see the real changes.. ( for Safari and Firefox, i mean )

Perhaps there is an other way...

The big and fun surprise of upgrading in the juggledad way is that you find on the new version most of the settings of your old version, that's great !

daniel (french)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:27 AM
PortMaria.62

19 posts · Dec 2009
wyoming
If all your files are saved in the database like Flynn says, why would you have to save them before upgrading? there seems to be two different schools of thought ging on here?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
All your OPTIONS are saved in the DB - anything you set via the Atahualpa Theme Option.

Any change you make to a piece of code (like js.php, bfa_header_config.php) or any images you have uploaded to any of the theme folders may be overridden if you use the wordpress atuomatic update or manually ftp fhe files TO THE SAME FOLDER

This is why I manually install the theme. I create a folder with the version number (atahualpa333, atahualpa341, atahualpa345) and upload the theme into it. This way, when I go to the theme picker I will have multiple versions to choose from. Then I can switch back and forth till I'm satisfied, then delete the old folder.

NOTE: If you do it this way, and have used a URL in the options, you will probably have to change the url to the new name of the atahualpa folder. For example:

'background url("http://mydomain.com/wordpress/wp-content/theme/atahualpa333/image/header/image1.jpg")'

would have to be changed to

'background url("http://mydomain.com/wordpress/wp-content/theme/atahualpa345/image/header/image1.jpg")'

As always, before doing an update, make sure you back things up so you can roll back to where youwere before the update in case something goes wrong.

And only update one thing at a time! (don't update wordpress, the theme, php and add 10 new plugins at the same time unless you LIKE pain)

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:11 AM
craigtran

8 posts · Feb 2010
Well, well, well.
I did not read this post and decided to do automatic upgrade to 3.4.6
It's total disaster. 3.4.6 did not upgrade successfully, it wipes out 3.4.5.

Listen to these expert to save your work.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:49 AM
Jan-Olov

4 posts · Feb 2010
Salbohed, Sweden
Yeah, got the same wipe out, didn't even think of having the old atahualpa theme downloaded first.
That's what experience do for You.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:24 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
I usually don't mess with my hard-code files (header.php etc.) and I found an easier solution that works for me while being able to auto-update Atahualpa.

I just FTP my: "wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images" from my WordPress install directory (for me it's: aimitmedia.com/blog/) to a folder on my computer's hard-drive for my website (C:/MyDesigns/AimItMedia/Website/Atahualpa-Base/<images folder ftp to here>) just before I do an auto-update. After the auto-update I reload that folder up to "wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images" and I'm good to go for all my custom installed images (like: header image, favicon, user.gif, etc.).

But, I figured a way around the background image problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad

NOTE: If you do it this way, and have used a URL in the options, you will probably have to change the url to the new name of the atahualpa folder. For example:

'background url("http://mydomain.com/wordpress/wp-content/theme/atahualpa333/image/header/image1.jpg")'

would have to be changed to

'background url("http://mydomain.com/wordpress/wp-content/theme/atahualpa345/image/header/image1.jpg")' ...
I use the "background url" trick, but I made an "images" folder in my root directory so when I update Atahualpa, the images are still in the same place regardless of the Atahualpa version of the theme.

Example >>> For my ATO: Body, Text & Links: Body Style I have >>>
Code:
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
font-size: 0.8em;
color: #000000;
background: url(http://www.aimitmedia.com/images/translogopattern.gif) repeat top left; background-attachment: fixed;

Last edited by ChaseMann; Mar 2, 2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added more description
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
ron.foreman

1 posts · Mar 2010
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to ron.foreman
And don't forget to add your Google Webmaster Tools 'Verify' code to the header.php and your Google Analytics code to the footer.php.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
And don't forget to add your Google Webmaster Tools 'Verify' code to the header.php and your Google Analytics code to the footer.php.
WRONG. You don't have to change any code. Use the 'Add HTML/CSS Inserts' options page.