Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Atahualpa - Can't upload list-item (bullets)

Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:26 PM
eager to learn

14 posts · Apr 2010
Hi Folks,

I'm the Forest Gump of WordPress users so please hold the flaming arrows!

I'm trying to insert "bullets" which I understand are really called "list-item" in web design.

I'm trying out the Atahualpa theme just as a trial run to see how much of my hair I may have to pull out (or not) using it.

I tried the following to no avail.

I choose Visual and then use the unordered list.

Just as a test, I type in the text (test) then hit 2 hard returns, then type in the text test 2 then hit 2 hard returns and then finally text 3 then hit 2 hard returns and then highlight all of that and then click unordered bullets and the click Publish.

I cna the the list-item (bullet) next to test, test 2, test 3.

But, once I hit Publish it only seems to publish the words text, text 2, text 3 without any list-items (bullets).

I was reading that we may need a Text Editor with FTP capability?

I found one at chami.com called html-kit.

Apparently, one has to download this kit and then configure it so that you can edit files or edit content on the server.

That seems like a lot just to add bullet points to the text of your content.

Is it that complicated or am I missing a step?

A friend found this ... http://www.arcanepalette.com/tips-an...ems-wordpress/

but that explanation loses me after "The..."

Remember, I'm just Forest Gump!

Is there an easy way to insert a "list-item" (bullet) in the Atahualpa theme?

Thank you all so much for your understanding and help.

Charles.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This has nothing to due with Atahualpa. When you are entering text in a post, you are using the wordpress code. To see what I mean, switch to the default theme and try to add the same thing. Do your results change?

Wordpress is the product and controls most of what happens. themes control the look of what you see in the front end.

Try this, enter yiut lines, then select all the lines and then hit the unordered list icon
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
eager to learn

14 posts · Apr 2010
I'm sorry but are you suggesting I type in "yiut lines" as the text?

Then, click the unordered list icon?

I've typed plain text in and then clicked the unordered list icon, then Publish and it only publishes the text, no items-list (bullets)?

I even tried an html tag.

Do you know if WordPress allows you to use html tags?

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This has nothing to do with any theme, it's part of the WordPress base code, but here is a quick how to to get an unordered list (will work for ordered list also) in a post

1) edit a post and select the visual editor
2) click the unordered list icon (note: this is an on/off button - it will remain on till you shut it off)
3) enter text for point 1 - hit 'return'
4) enter text for point 2 - hit 'return'
5) enter text for point 3 - Now, because we want text under point 3, Hold down 'control' and hit 'return'
enter the text that comes under point 3 - then hit 'return' to go to point 4 etc, etc

if you want the text under a point to have a paragraph break, use the control+return to put it there.

Here is a sample of what it will look like
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 8.png
Views:	817
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	475
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
eager to learn

14 posts · Apr 2010
Hi juggledad,

Thanks for the detailed instructions but that still didn't publish any item-list (bullets).

What version of WordPress are your using?

Maybe my version 2.9.2 is not configured to publish bullets even though it has the unordered list and I can see them in the edit box just not up on the Web site.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm running 2.9.2 - If you would like, send me a PM (Private Message) with a login and I try it to see if it is a site issue or it's something you are doing different than I am.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:07 PM
eager to learn

14 posts · Apr 2010
Hi Juggledad,

I'm wondering...if the challenge I'm experiencing in publishing bullets to the site is that I'm not actually using a list for the bullets. I'm just typing text and then wanting to create bullets for that text but not necessarily creating a list per se (e.g. Item 1, item 2, item 3)

I am able to code html tags in the HTML Editor (Not the Virtual Editor) which creates a small bullet which does publish. I just can't get the bullets created in the Visual Editor (which I see in that Editor) to publish.

Would you know if and how I would publish a graphic of a bullet? Say, I found a bullet in another program (e.g Open Office) could I copy and paste that into the Visual Editor and then publish that?

The HTML bullets are limited and small so it wold be nice to have larger bullets.

Thanks so much.