Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

qTranslate conflicts?

Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:31 AM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
Send a message via MSN to OP351net
I'm using qTranslate v2.5.28 to allow two languages on my website. For that purpose, I need to use expressions like:

Quote:
[:en]by %author%, on %date('F jS, Y')%[:pt]por %author%, em %date('j \d\e F \d\e Y')%
where [:en] and [:pt] indicate the start of the respective language version for a specific text.

This used to work in previous versions of Atahualpa but not now with 3.7.3 !! After I make my changes in Atahualpa Theme Options like the one above and I save them I will see only:

Quote:
by %author%, on %date('F jS, Y')%
which means that Atahualpa cleans it up, removing the qTranslate tags !!! Can anyone help????

Last edited by OP351net; Mar 16, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
that's odd because I just entered you settings and it saves fine. try disablinmg all other plugins except qtranslate and see what happens - I wonder if you have a plugin that looks at shortcodes
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:23 AM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
Thanks for your reply, juggledad.

Put ODD on that !! The worst part is: this code cleaning up is random, meaning, you might save Atahualpa Options, the shortcodes remain there but they might disappear at any time !!!!

Removing plugins it's quite hard !! I have 16 plugins installed !! Any clue about which type of plugins might be interfering?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
There hasn't been a significant change in the code that saves teh options. What version were you using?

as for disabling the plugins, it is easy to disable all the plugins, though it might not make your site look good

if you can get a handle on a series of steps that cause the issue to happen, I can look at it in more detail, but if it is random it is hard to determine or even recreate.

what version of Atahualpa were you on?
What version of WP?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:10 AM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
Yes, with "hard" I mean what I would feel watching my website if I'd deactivate the plugins

I'm using Atahualpa 3.7.3, WordPress 3.3.1 and qTranslate 2.5.28 !!

I already started deactivating plugins one by one and I have started with those handling square brackets "[" and "]". I will post the result here if I succeed
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:52 AM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
Actual status:

1 - I deactivated plugins one by one. No improvement !!
2 - I finally deactivated ALL plugins but qTranslate. No improvement !!
3 - Meanwhile, I've found out that shortcodes are removed after I navigate through my website (read in pages, read in posts, etc)

Additional information: I have exactly the same problem on a different website running on Wordpress 3.1.1, Atahualpa 3.6.4 and qTranslate 2.5.19 !!!! Any clues?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Very odd. The theme options are store in the database and viewing a post READs the options from the database BUT doesn't WRITE the theme options out to the database.

what is the URL?
if you are in the US please send me a PM with your contact information.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
The URL is http://op351.net and http://ajbfec.com, both with the same problem.

I guess there is something wrong with Atahualpa handling post kickers, post bylines, post footers and footer (all fields are editable) when qTranslate shortcodes are included. There are other parts of the website with those very same shortcodes (for example, in several plugins) and they do not go away!

I had a look at Atahualpa code but my PHP knowledge sucks !! Any help would be very much welcome...

PS: I am from Portugal, so let's keep this conversation affordable keeping it on free means
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've installed the qtranslate and can not get it to fail in any way - if you want, send me an admin ID/PW and I'll take a look
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
May I get the URL of website where you installed qT to check it out? What versions are you using?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm running it on my local server and just downloaded the latest version of qtranslate off of wordpress.org.

The only time the theme re-wrtites the theme settings (which are stored in the database) is when you make a change and hit the 'Save' button'. Reading posts should do nothing.

here is an experiment. pt the code in and save it, then go to the 'Export/Import settings' option and export your settings. Now go back and see if those settings are still there. Next, go do the 'voodoo' (sorry, couldn't help it, it sounded so good in my head "..go do the voodoo...) that changes the setting. Now go export the settings again.

Attach teh two files to a reply (use the paper clip icon'
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
juggledad, I guess you're scoring !!

I did what you said and maybe I don't need to send you the files because I tell you here what happened.

1 - When I place the line:

Quote:
[:en]by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')%[: pt]por %author%, em %date('j #d#e F #d#e Y')%
in the field "BYLINE: Homepage" and export settings, I can only find in the .txt file the string:

Quote:
by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')%
1 - When I place the line:

Quote:
[: pt]por %author%, em %date('j #d#e F #d#e Y')%[:en]by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')%
in the field "BYLINE: Homepage" and export settings, I can only find in the .txt file the string:

Quote:
by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')%

3 - If I place the line:

Quote:
by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')% por %author%, em %date('j #d#e F #d#e Y')%
which is similar to previous ones but without qTranslate shortcodes, I can find in the .txt file the string:

Quote:
by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')% por %author%, em %date('j #d#e F #d#e Y')%
Can you see??? Atahualpa is not handling correctly the qTranslate shortcodes !!!!

Actually, if I use shortcodes, Atahualpa only takes into consideration what it is after the [:en] one, which is the default language of my website. Meaning, shortcodes and everything after [: pt] are not saved in the settings backup file !!

I still insist, this is an Atahualpa bug. Agree? What's next?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I still insist, this is an Atahualpa bug. Agree? What's next?
no because when I insert the line
HTML Code:
[:en]by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')%[: pt]por %author%, em %date('j #d#e F #d#e Y')%
I find it in the export and it is still in the option when I go back to it.

I do get an error in runtime looks like the '#' are not liked, but the original code (in your first post) works fine.

again if you want, send me an admin ID/PW and I'll take a look
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
OP351net

8 posts · Mar 2012
Porto PORTUGAL
Atahualpa recommends the use of # instead \ for escaping letters inside %date%
Go for me, this is an Atahualpa bug !!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
There may be a bug, but since the only one having the issue is you and the fact that I can't recreate it, there is nothing I can do.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
fyi,
here are two screen shots one when english is selected,
Click image for larger version

Name:	english.png
Views:	1377
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1797
and one with portugues
Click image for larger version

Name:	portugues.png
Views:	1357
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1798
and here is my 'BYLINE: Homepage' option
HTML Code:
[:pt]por %author%, em %date('j #d#e F #d#e Y')% [:en]by %author%, on %date('F jS Y')%
no problem. So it must have something to do with your environment which could be
character set used in the database, plugins you use, custom modifications to wordpress, language version of wordpress you are using, or maybe some environmental setting on your host.