Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Problem with menus on IE8

Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:40 AM
billc108

22 posts · Jun 2009
[SOLVED] Problem with menus on IE8

Menu dropdowns are not appearing for me on IE8.

I'm running ATA 3.7.9 on WP 3.4.2. The dropdowns are actually appearing a tiny bit - a couple of pixels where the dropdown overlaps the parent menu item shows up and is clickable to the first sub menu item. But the rest of it appears to be hidden behind the center and side columns.

I've searched around here a fair bit and haven't found any problems that are similar.

The development site is dev.windcoalition.net. I've already tried turning off all the plugins... no difference.

Would entering a z-index value somewhere help? And if so, where?

Any hints or ideas appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:33 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what happens if you remove all the contents in CSS Inserts? (copy it to a text file so you can put it back in)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The real way to fix this is to increase the number of columns the logo area takes up and decrease the number that the menu takes up. Remember you hav to think responsive here. The changes would take place in the 'header.php' sub-template.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
billc108

22 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
The real way to fix this is to increase the number of columns the logo area takes up and decrease the number that the menu takes up. Remember you hav to think responsive here. The changes would take place in the 'header.php' sub-template.
Sorry if I'm being dense...

I see at line 60 in header.php:

<td id="header" colspan="<?php echo $cols; ?>">

<?php echo bfa_header_config(); ?>

Those are the only lines in the section marked Header. There's a lot more detail in bfa_header_config.php for both logo area and menu, did you mean there instead? If so, I don't see any explicit mention of number of columns.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Sorry my last post was an answer for a different thread - I've got to cut down having so many windows open at the same time
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
billc108

22 posts · Jun 2009
No prob. That explains why I was confused, at least.

Still, just 1 or 2 px of the dropdowns are displaying in IE, with or without the CSS inserts.

Any ideas? As much as I hate to do so, I still have to support IE for this site.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
billc108

22 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
what happens if you remove all the contents in CSS Inserts? (copy it to a text file so you can put it back in)
Well, aside from totally messing up the layout of the rest of the page, it doesn't do much to the menus on IE. Dropdowns are still there on everything but IE. (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome on Mac, Firefox on Windows all show dropdowns).