Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

child theme for Atahualpa

Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:59 AM
mgseven

4 posts · Apr 2013
child theme for Atahualpa

Hi,
I'm using the Atahualpa theme (3.7.11) with WP 3.5.1 and would like to use a child theme.
I've added the directory atahualpa-child in wp-content/themes, created a style.css file and activated the child theme. All seems ok but none of the css in this file is applied.

Should this work ?
Wordpress is not installed in the root but a sub-directory wp.

Do I need to change the header.php ?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Can I ask why you want to use a child theme?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:11 AM
mgseven

4 posts · Apr 2013
Hi,
Reading through the Wordpress documentation, this seems to be the best way to maintain changes when upgrading WP or theme.
Please could you confirm if it is possible with Atahualpa, if not I won't spend any more time trying to find out why it's not working.

Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
yes you can make a child theme, but unless you edit the actual theme code, all the theme options are stored in the database and saved over updates. In addition, version 3.7.12 (which is in the theme review queue) will have an option to point at another folder in the wp-content folder, that you can store your logo, favicon and header images so they will remain over updates.

you will need to copy style.css and index.php, but don't modify style.css, use the theme options - for 'extra' css use the ato->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts option
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:01 AM
mgseven

4 posts · Apr 2013
Thanks very much for the info.
I've just tried your suggestion (copied index.php and style.css to atahualpa-child directory unmodified)
When I browse to site I get:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function bfa_get_options() in /home/sevenoak/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpa-child/index.php on line 2
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
did you create the child theme properly?

also I will once again state that Atahualpa is different than other themes, 99% of the time you don't need a child theme with atahualpa (and I don't have any idea when the 1% might be needed)

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 16, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:46 AM
mgseven

4 posts · Apr 2013
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by properly.
I created the directory atahualpa-child directory in themes, copied style.css and index.php from atahualpa to atahualpa-child and activated atahualpa-child.

Is this correct ?

I appreciate that it is not likely to be required, however I would like to understand why it's not working if possible.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you should try a google search using 'how to create a child theme'