Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

how to add a button after or before "read more" that will show only on excerpt

Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:53 PM
miki5050

9 posts · Apr 2011
Hi

I am using Atahualpa 3.6.4

i configured the excerpt to show 500 words and am using the read more tag to break the post

i am trying to install an image button right after the "read more" or right before the "read more" tag so that it will appear only on the excerpt page with the "read more" tag and not on the post itself. the button will be unique for each post

example url - http://internetmarketingindex.net/ca...ing-and-buying

I tried installing TinyMCE Excerpt but i can't seem to find where to edit the excerpt.

thanks for any help
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:10 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The TinyMCE Excerpt plugin I believe gives you a WYSIWYG editor for the excerpt box when editing a post. If you don't see the excerpt box click on the Screen Options link in the upper right and select the Excerpt check box to make it visible.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
do you have the BUGFIX's installed - especially BUGFIX 364-07: Correction to how Excerpts are processed?

If you have a excerpt size of 500 and the <!--more--> is prior to that, the break will come at the <!--more--> an button after the <!--more--> will not show.

Any button before the <!--more--> will ALways show, excerpt or full page

The only way I can think of doing this is to edit the code processing the <!--more--> and have the button added there. You might be able to add a custom field to every post and put the button HTML in it and then display that button in the code you add.

Oh, you will have to look in the WordPress code to find where it process the function 'get_the_content()' and put your code in there somewhere.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:21 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Or couldn't you add the image button to the manual excepts box?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:11 AM
miki5050

9 posts · Apr 2011
thanks alot to both of you lmilesw and juggledad!!

i was able to solve it with the adding the image to the excerpt on a post by post basis.

right before the more tag

http://internetmarketingindex.net/ca...mail-marketing

( lmilesw - the screen options advice was great)

do any of you know a plugin that allows you to insert html into excerpts?

thanks !!

miki
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you have the TinyMCE Advanced plugin installed you can add an HTML button to the visual editor which also shows in the TinyMCE Excerpt editor.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:16 PM
miki5050

9 posts · Apr 2011
thanks!

miki