Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Can't add widgets to either sidebar

Old Nov 9, 2009, 07:37 PM
catchthewind

7 posts · Nov 2009
I just downloaded this theme today, and also upgraded to Wordpress 2.8.5. I really like the theme so far, and I think it's the one we're going to end up using, but I can't seem to make custom sidebars. It's been a while since I last started a Wordpress site, but I seem to remember all I had to do was move the widgets to the sidebar I wanted to use and save it and it would automatically use my custom configuration. With the new WP now, I don't see anywhere to save the configuration, but it's just going back to Atahualpa's default sidebars when I leave the page. Am I missing something somewhere or is it that Atahualpa and WP 2.8.5 aren't quite compatible yet or is it something totally different? I hope that makes sense! Thank you!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:10 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you just drag the widget to the sidebar and add something to it. some times there will be a save button you need to press.

The only problems I've seen with widgets have happened to people who are running php 4.x instead of php 5.x
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
catchthewind

7 posts · Nov 2009
That's what I'm doing, but once I leave the page it doesn't seem to save and when I go back to the widget page, none of the widgets are in the sidebars anymore. I'm pretty sure we're running php 5 but I'll double check that.

ETA: Just checked and I've got PHP 5.2.3.

Last edited by catchthewind; Nov 9, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Very odd I've been using WP 2.8.5 and Atahualpa 3.4.4 for some time with no problems. Since it is a new install would you be willing to let me sign into the backend to look arround? If so send me a PM with the URL, an id and password
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:44 PM
catchthewind

7 posts · Nov 2009
Thanks Juggledad, there's nothing private up on the site yet so I'll send you a pm. I've tried with both Chrome and IE 7 and 8. Haven't tried with Firefox yet as I don't have it installed on this computer, but I can't imagine it's a browser problem if it doesn't work on either of the above. The only other thing I thought might be the problem is I read a mention somewhere that Atahualpa has it's own widget area. I'm using the Wordpress one under Appearance->Widgets. I've looked through the Atahualpa Theme Options and don't see a specific widget area there. I'm assuming I'm missing something very elementary here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I'm usually good with this stuff.

ETA: Just tried with Firefox and Safari on a different computer and they don't work either, so definitely not a browser problem.

Last edited by catchthewind; Nov 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OK, I know the answer, disable the wp-events plugin - it's causing a conflict
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:05 AM
catchthewind

7 posts · Nov 2009
Darn, guess I need to find a new events plug in then. Thanks so much for looking at that Juggledad. I briefly suspected it might be that, but since the widgets weren't working even if I didn't try and add that specific one I never thought to disable it and try; and I hadn't tried adding the widgets before downloading the plug in.

Last edited by catchthewind; Nov 10, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
flitj_rider

1 posts · Nov 2009
I was running into the same problem, so thanks for the help. And I also want an events calendar for my Wordpress site. Any advice on one that doesn't cause a conflict with Atahualpa?