Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Styling all the elements of the comment box via CSS inserts

Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
perdox808

51 posts · Apr 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to perdox808
Flynn, I'd like to be able to change the style of everything in the comments box.

By inspecting the elements with Firebug, I was able to change the color of the 'comment' words. I always just change the color so that with my very limited knowledge of HTML, I know that I have the correct syntax and variable in my CSS inserts box I add other things as I go along like the font size etc.

Using Firebug, I was able to decipher that it was the tag 'p' and by looking at the side column in Firebug under the Style tab, I could see that it was ul.commentlist li p.

So being a genius (cough, cough) I inserted this in my CSS inserts:

ul.commentlist li p {
color: #cc0066;
}
and lo and behold, job done.

Feeling really good now, I tried to change the color of the Reply link. Stuck. I couldn't work out what I had to use. Picture me with many tears. See attached file for what the Firebug window looked like.

So, once and for all so that I stop bugging you, can you please tell me what I need to insert in the CSS Inserts panel to adjust (looking at Comment No. 2 for example) in the attached image the:

1. The author of the comment (perdox)
2. The part that styles the 'says' word.
3. The date.
4. The word 'edit'.
5. The link 'Reply'.

Thanks again Flynn.

Last edited by perdox808; Apr 23, 2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
1. The author of the comment (perdox): span.retaggrCard { ... }
2. The part that styles the 'says' word: span.says { ... }
3. The date: div.comment-meta { ... }
4. The word 'edit': As someone who isn't logged in I cannot see the class of this. You should be able to see it in Firebug
5. The link 'Reply': div.reply { ... }

Note to other readers: Looks like the comments file was replaced with the default WP comments file here. These changes do not apply to a default Atahualpa installation
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:27 PM
perdox808

51 posts · Apr 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Flynn, you're a marvel. I'm getting the hang of this now. That firebug thing is great. Will let you know if I can't get the 'edit' text to work.

If you solve my other problem about the background of the author comments, I'll be as happy as a pig in pooh!

PS. Did the donation come through yet? I just sent it.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 03:23 AM
perdox808

51 posts · Apr 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you so much Flynn. Everything worked except: the (Edit) part.

I have attached a screenshot of firebug. If you need to log in, the following username and password is what I am using for testing purposes:

<... removed password ...>

Thanks in advance.

I did try:

div.comment-meta, comment-edit-link a:link {
color:#CCCC00;
}

div.comment-meta, comment-edit-link a:hover {
}
div.comment-meta, comment-edit-link a:visited {
}

but it didn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 6.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	102  

Last edited by perdox808; Apr 23, 2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:33 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I doesn't seem to be enclosed in its own DIV or SPAN. But you'd be the only one seeing that link anyway.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:37 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Flynn,

I've got all my hover links the way I want them ... except for the Comment box hover links ... <date and time> and Reply come up a bright red ... which contrasts rather sharply with the rest of the theme scheme.

Quote:
Note to other readers: Looks like the comments file was replaced with the default WP comments file here. These changes do not apply to a default Atahualpa installation
Based on your note above, from 4/22, I'm not quite sure what to do or where to go. ... I might have missed a setting somewhere but if I have I'll be darned if I can see or find it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:43 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Whooops. The navigation hover link colors (Next/Prev Navigation) are bright red too. I need them to be more along the lines of: #0000FF (a strong blue).

Thanks in advance.

(Getting down to the fine details now.)
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Neeevvveeerrr mind. ...

After getting some sleep, I found it in an area I hadn't spent much time in ... ATO --> "Body, Text & Links".

Quote:
The styles you set here will apply to everything that doesn't get its own style.

Thanks for a great theme, Flynn. ... It's just a matter of learning it.