Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Are empty sidebars OK?

Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
biberkopf

3 posts · Jul 2010
Copenhagen
Having updated my WP2.9 to 3.0 or 3.1 (not sure when this issue occurred) and having updated Atahualpa accordingly, three new standard widgets suddenly appeared in my inner right sidebar.

I followed Blaise's sticky thread on »How to remove the default widgets from the sidebars« and added an empty widget to the inner right sidebar. Unfortunately, I'm now seeing the border of an empty widget box in the top of my inner right sidebar.

I take it that empty sidebars are just not good practice? Or do you have a better way to control them.

Originally, I kept the hitherto empty inner bars active in my design as a flexible spacer area. But I could just as well turn deactivate the inner right side bar altogether and add some padding to my outer sidebars instead.

What is the 'correct way'?

I'm not too keen on solutions that include editing the php-files directly, because I live in constant fear of overwriting the code exemption in the next auto-update process. So I really want to keep adjustments withing Atahualpas framework.

Also, can you point me to a tutorial, primer, or other description of the WP widgets along with the new flexible Atahualpa widgets. I'm a bit in the dark here, but would like to learn.

Sorry, if this has already been described/discussed here.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 05:44 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
What you do is a matter of what works in your situation. I don't use the empty widget trick. I always turn them off but that certainly does not mean other ways are wrong.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:48 PM
biberkopf

3 posts · Jul 2010
Copenhagen
Thanks. I ended up disabling the inner margins, too.