Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

How to completely remove the ".firstpart" classes?

Old May 29, 2013, 05:17 AM
Fux

142 posts · Apr 2009
How to completely remove the ".firstpart" classes?

Hi,
I would like to know how to remove all those .firstpart occurences from the code. Sure, I can remove them from the CSS files, but they will still be in the PHP (or not). Where can I find them if I want to remove them to optimize the code?
Old May 29, 2013, 07:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I would use a tool that would allow you to search all the files in a folder and do a global search. This would be a 'GREP' in linux or on the mac you could use 'TextWrangler'. No suggestions for windows though.

Remember you will have to repeat it for each update and do you really expect it to save you much of anything?
Old May 29, 2013, 10:50 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fux
... I want to remove them to optimize the code?
I agree with Juggledad. Code optimization is not a big deal nowadays because servers now run so fast. If it's really that important to you, you probably don't even want to run WP because it has a good deal of bloat. I used to write my own CMS from scratch, but I'm migrating to WP, and disregarding the bloat.

If you don't want to style it the .firstpart, just edit the css to ignore it, as Juggledad suggests. Neither your users nor your server loads will ever notice the difference.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:05 AM
Fux

142 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks for your opinions on that. I'm just used to making optimizations like this and for me it has to do with elegance. I thought there should be an easy way to change this (since we have access to both php and css with Montezuma) but if there isn't I'll have to stick with it.

Quote:
Code optimization is not a big deal nowadays because servers now run so fast
I find that a dangerous assertion. Indeed, servers run faster than 10 years ago, but it still makes sense to make the most out of that. In my example I only started optimizing things precisely because my server was unable to keep up with the demands of my website. So far it paid off.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:05 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fux
I only started optimizing things precisely because my server was unable to keep up with the demands of my website.
If you're having server problems, doing things like caching probably makes sense, but you probably have bigger issues than would be solved by trying to trim a few characters out of a style designation here and there.