Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
trysil24

1 posts · Jan 2010
Here is my site

I think Atahualpa is great and have only used it for 7days to create a hotel website,I am not a skilled webpage designer but with Atahualpa theme it gave me easy tools to use.

I also like the theme sidebar options to show or not to show,it was what i was looking for so i could display a 360 pano

Last edited by trysil24; Jan 21, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:56 AM
btriyono

2 posts · Nov 2009
Hi everyone,

Check out my site, www.sci-health.org

This is my first site in using wordpress and Atahualpa theme. My office needs to make a quick and accessible site for the research program. Let me know what you think.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:24 PM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Great site, clean layout, good job!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hey @Brad -- you neglected to give us the URL to your site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBrown
...<snip>...I had to evaluate different text replacement technologies and work through the licensing issues to be able to legally use the font I wanted.
I'd be very interested in which "type/font systems" you looked at and what was your final choice. I took a quick look at TypeKit and just didn't grok how to implement it.

Quote:
...<snip>...I also spent time trying to find a way to keep the same URL's for the pages that they had before. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way, so I did 301 redirects to the new names. Hopefully everything will work out in the SEs.
When WP'ing our site, I only had a couple of the "old" URL's that needed to be kept. Rather than re-directing, I left a version of the old page ( http://www.hatchtown.com/nostdir.html ) in place adding a notice re the site's upgrade and links to the homepage AND the new version of the linked page ( http://www.hatchtown.com/tools/misc-tools/nosting )

Cheers! Jim
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
Shepherd Jim,

I gave the URL a few posts ago; my last post was just answering a question from nirmal. The site is http://www.BradBrownMagic.com.

The font embedding I ended up using is Cufon (http://cufon.shoqolate.com/). It's fast, relatively lightweight, works cross browser, and is easy to set up. Another option I considered was Flir. It has a WP plugin, so it's easy to implement, but the font I was using didn't look good with Flir. The other popular option is Sifr, but since I don't do flash development, it wasn't a viable option.

The big problem is licensing. With most fonts, including the one I wanted, you have to track down the owner and buy a special license to do it legally.

On the subject of redirects, leaving the old pages in place can lead to trouble in the search engines. The old pages will stay in the search engine. Search engines don't like pages with duplicate content, so there's a danger the old page could keep your new page from ranking well. Adding a permanent redirect is just the matter of adding a line or two to your .htaccess file. Visitors will be seamlessly sent to the correct address, and the search engines will know that the new page is the replacement for the old.

Thanks,
Brad

P.S. By the way, I just created yet another ATA based site, http://CincyFCM.org. I just can't stop myself!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:33 AM
grandpa

6 posts · Jan 2010
Norway
This is my site right now, a few pages are more or less finished, still testing. I'm using the blog as a notebook, just to remember problems and tips.

http://www.dahloakland.com/

As you can see, I am a programmer not designer, but I've learned to live with it.

I'm sure you'll see that English is not my first language, but I've learned to live with that too.

greetings
svein-erik (a.k.a. grandpa)
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:00 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBrown
Shepherd Jim, ...<snip>...

On the subject of redirects, leaving the old pages in place can lead to trouble in the search engines. The old pages will stay in the search engine. Search engines don't like pages with duplicate content, so there's a danger the old page could keep your new page from ranking well. Adding a permanent redirect is just the matter of adding a line or two to your .htaccess file. Visitors will be seamlessly sent to the correct address, and the search engines will know that the new page is the replacement for the old. ...<snip>...
Brad: Truth be told, the one time I delved into installing redirects EVERYTHING went haywire and it took me a couple of days to get back to a functioning site status. As I remember it the problem was that there were too many ways of doing something and too many "experts" offering conflicting advice.

Jim
PS re your PS: I had to laugh -- it is a BIG world -- talk about a "niche"!! Christian Magicians in Cincinnati! ...if you don't mind me asking, how many are you?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:55 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd Jim
-- talk about a "niche"!! Christian Magicians in Cincinnati! ...if you don't mind me asking, how many are you?
Just thought I would throw in that I was a member of SAM (Society of American Magicians) and IBM (International Brotherhood of Magicians) about 40 years ago and although I never got involved in the FCM (Fellowship of Christian Magicians) one of our members, Gene Doane, was and I believe he is still doing "Gospel Magic". If you go to the Fellowship of Christian Magicians site you will see how big it is.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:56 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
Just finished: http://www.viskerresultancy.nl
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:58 PM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd Jim
PS re your PS: I had to laugh -- it is a BIG world -- talk about a "niche"!! Christian Magicians in Cincinnati! ...if you don't mind me asking, how many are you?
There are 10 or 12 of us who come to meetings on a regular basis. There are more in the area. A lot of FCM members aren't professional magicians. Many are pastors, Sunday School teachers, and so forth who want to use magic and other visual arts as object lessons.

The site will be used to promote our public show this spring, and to try to reach out to more local people who might be interested in our meetings. I need to beef up the content, but it's far enough along to start getting it indexed in the search engines. That's actually the main reason I included it in my previous post, to get another inbound link.

-Brad
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:13 PM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
OK, finally done. My 3rd ATA site and I did it for a local farmer.
It has the simple Paypal shopping cart, if anyone is curious to see how that works.

http://shadybridgefarm.com/

Shepherd Jim, I hope you don't mind that I 'borrowed' your "Farm Journal" terminology. I like it a lot better than "blog".

My next project is hopefully farm-related also. I went to my hay lady and begged her: "Will work for Hay! Please! My sheep are eating me out of house and home!"
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Just thought I'd show off how customizable this theme is. Really so easy to design, stylize, and move things around.

http://www.gethelpmusic.com
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:35 PM
ksmith101

79 posts · Dec 2009
North Carolina, although Georgia (USA) is HOME
Lucy...very creative site for Shady Bridge Farm. Doesnt look bloggish!!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:55 PM
PhilD41

4 posts · Feb 2010
Okay, so I started my first wordpress blog for my father / client this week. I thought I would share as the Atahualpa theme was the first and only theme I installed. The customization was great and allowed for everything I wanted to do. See my tweaks at FormativeFriendships. thanks for a great theme!! Oh, due to use of CSS3 styling I would recommend using firefox or chrome. I looks okay in IE7 and up, but nothing like it does in the others.

Last edited by PhilD41; Feb 11, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:17 PM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
Incredible job Brad!!!!

I have put a lot of time into my site...I've spent 7 months working with WordPress now and have used Atahualpa the whole time. It rocks. I've done a decent amount of customization, let me know what you think:

http://www.SixPrizes.com
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:28 AM
SamuelGoh

36 posts · Feb 2010
adum: Your site looks awesome mate! It looks totally 'customized'!
You guys are really good and all your sites look fantastic.

I'm just done with mine; it took me quite awhile because I'm not that good but here it is:

www.samuelgoh.com

It's a simple blog layout kinda site but tell me what you think and how I can improve on it.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:11 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Sammy, you're a funny guy. Found your site very entertaining :-)

Does anyone else have a problem with their site looking funky in Chrome?
I'm thinking it has to be a plugin because nobody is complaining about it in the forums ... errr.

Last edited by ChaseMann; Feb 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:30 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy
...<snip>...
Shepherd Jim, I hope you don't mind that I 'borrowed' your "Farm Journal" terminology. I like it a lot better than "blog".

My next project is hopefully farm-related also. I went to my hay lady and begged her: "Will work for Hay! Please! My sheep are eating me out of house and home!"
Hey Lucy: No prob re the "Farm Journal" -- pretty sure we'd not get a copyright on that terminology.

Hey! HAY! Let me know if your "hay lady" would consider delivering to Maine. Since you're already covering her online needs I'll go dietary -- guessing someone in Texas might like being paid off in lobsters. The way things went last summer, hay almost costs as much per pound as lobster.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:41 AM
MacMacGA

12 posts · Mar 2009
Warner Robins, GA
Send a message via AIM to MacMacGA Send a message via Skype™ to MacMacGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactony
Just thought I'd show off how customizable this theme is. Really so easy to design, stylize, and move things around.

http://www.gethelpmusic.com
Nice job on the site. I liked what you did with the sidebars with no bar in front of the recent posts.

Ann
http://aauwwrga.org
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:27 PM
c4duser

24 posts · Nov 2009
The Capital Flow Watch site uses Atahualpa 3.4.4 with Wordpress 2.9.2, plus a lot of plugins (see the Acknowledgements link in the footer for a list of plugins used).

This site makes heavy use of excerpts on front, tag, category, and index pages.

As far as I can tell, Atahualpa is the best theme available for Wordpress, free or paid.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:45 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4duser
The Capital Flow Watch site uses Atahualpa 3.4.4 with Wordpress 2.9.2, plus a lot of plugins ...<snip>...
As far as I can tell, Atahualpa is the best theme available for Wordpress, free or paid.
Whoa c4duser! BIG KUDOS on Capitol-Flow-Watch.NET!! I found your layout very compelling -- spent more time than I had to spare browsing your content -- having forgotten I was there just to survey the layout!

As a "WP person" I really enjoyed the footer "Acknowledgements" listing all the plugins you've used -- one thought is that you should really add back in Atahualpa or Bytes for All.
Question: I will be checking, but is there a way not to have the WP-PluginsUsed 1.50 plugin NOT list your inactive plugins? ...really can't see the point...
Question: But, seeing your inactive plugin list: Akismet?? I re-checked the Actives and can't see where you're providing protection against spam. Is turning off Akismet a temporary thing?

The more I think I understand screen resolution and how it relates to browser window width, the confused'er it turns out I am. But, I noticed on your site was that the two narrow columns in the double column area "Featured articles on inside pages" down low in your center column started to overlap if I narrowed the browser window much below 1200 pixels. Note sure, but you might want to check out Atahualpa's ability to limit the narrowing of the layout by setting a "min width".

Again! WoW! Thank you for sharing with the rest of us!
Jim
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:21 AM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Hi All,
I wanted to show off an Atahualpa site I have just done for a client. http://www.securedb2.com/

Many thanks to Juggledad and Burn for sending me down the right path to get the menu buttons the way I wanted!

And many thanks, of course, to Flynn for such a great, configurable theme!!!

Ken
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
c4duser

24 posts · Nov 2009
Thanks, Shepard Jim, for the kind comments on Capital Flow Watch. This site is a re-casting of an older site I've been running for a number of years.

The Akismet plugin is now active. I've used this plugin for years and find it excellent.

The 'plugins-used' plugin does allow to leave off the unused plugins, and I've now done that. I don't understand what you mean by adding back in Atahualpa etc. because it is mentioned. Maybe I should give Atahualpa greater prominence?

Thanks for the tip on the problem with the center column. I've set the minimum width to 1200 px as you suggested. I hadn't noticed this. The 'Featured on inside pages section' uses the 'Get Custom Field Values' plugin to randomly display categorized text similar to excerpts on selected articles, styled with CSS, in six widget areas placed in the center column. The purpose is to high-light certain articles that otherwise would be lost on the inside pages.

Thanks again.

Last edited by c4duser; Feb 18, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: refer to reason for post.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:45 AM
MrStark

27 posts · Dec 2009
Hi

I havent done anything to the page for a long time, but this is what it looks like for now

www.frodem.no

I'll get around some day to refresh and maybe a new design, when I get the time to do it

Frode
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:31 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
Just made : http://www.verkeerscounseling.nl/rijangst/