Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Basic understanding needed on how to access and work with the database inter

Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:38 PM
anartist

67 posts · Aug 2012
Washington DC
[SOLVED] Basic understanding needed on how to access and work with the database inter

The connection between the database [which is not in my file-set for a wordpress installation] and the files in my directories is only dimly understood by me.

How do I get into the database to correct some damage? How does it link it to the blog styles and images? Why, when trying to recreate a blog can I not link a database I have saved to it but instead have an empty database and if I try to replace it with a backup I have no database connection at all?

How much coding ability do I need to have to work with a database?

Also, is there no way I can name a database something that is meaningful rather than the name the server assigns?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
The connection between the database [which is not in my file-set for a wordpress installation] and the files in my directories is only dimly understood by me.
the connection is made via MySQL calls that WordPress uses to access the data. The database name, user and password are stored in the WOrdPress file 'wp-config.php'
Quote:
How do I get into the database to correct some damage?
you can use commandline MySQL or use the application phpMyAdmin
Quote:
How does it link it to the blog styles and images?
In the database there are different TABLES, the tables. WordPress stores information in the tables and uses that information to build the pages displayed. For instance, all the settings for the Atahualpa theme are stored in a single ROW in the wp-options table. WordPress sees that the theme is Atahualpa so it passes control to the theme code. The theme then tells WP to get the option row and WP makes a call to MySQL which goes out to the database and gets the row handing it back to WP who hands it back to Atahualpa which styles the page. Many more back and forths may happen depending on what type of page ie a multi post page means calls to the database to get the posts.
Now as for teh header images, Atahualpa knows they are in it's images/header folder, so when building the HTML/CSS it uses the path to the thems to help build the url pointing to the image.
Quote:
Why, when trying to recreate a blog can I not link a database I have saved to it but instead have an empty database and if I try to replace it with a backup I have no database connection at all?
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here. If you want to duplicate a WP site there are directions at WordPress.org about how to do it. Another great tool is teh plugin 'BackupBuddy' (a preminum plugin) that will handle all the little steps needed to backup and/or move a site to another location
Quote:
How much coding ability do I need to have to work with a database?
None, but you need to have an understanding of MySQL, how the tables relate to one another, the database schema (do a google search) how to format MySQL statements (like INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE to name a few) what a JOIN is and how it works etc.
Quote:
Also, is there no way I can name a database something that is meaningful rather than the name the server assigns?
the all depends on your host and how they have set things up. On my host I have two accounts. On the older account I can name databases what ever I want, but with the newer account, I get the name the server assignes me. That's life but it is no big deal since, really the only time you care about the name is when you are setting the site up.

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 2, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:07 AM
anartist

67 posts · Aug 2012
Washington DC
Thank you, Juggledad.
That certainly gives me something to start with.
MySql will be my big challenge.