Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Dreamweaver and ATO/WP

Old Sep 9, 2010, 04:58 AM
Dona

43 posts · Jul 2010
Hi
I am new to WP (and ATO) and website building in general.
I have been having some frustrations using the editor in WP (3.0.1). I added the tinyMCE Advanced plugin which has helped, but still having difficulty formatting the page/tables - the tables don't keep the "shape" i set it to, and it keeps adding blank spaces where I don't want them (even though I keep deleting them)... etc.
Some people recommended I use Dreamweaver as a desktop editor.
If anyone has used Dreamweaver and WP (and ATO - I want to stay with this theme - it is great) - could you please let me know if you feel it is a good choice/option?
I already have a copy of Dreamweaver (came with the Photoshop CS5 creative suite), but it is rather complicated and if it is not necessary (it won't solve these problems) then I would rather not use it. But if it will make my life easier in the long run, then I am all for it!

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dona
Old Sep 9, 2010, 09:27 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I wouldn't go the Dreamweaver route. I think learning the ins and outs of the visual/html editor is much more practical and simpler. Besides then I can work on the site from any computer. I also would try to avoid using tables as they can be problematic. I much prefer using either floated divs or some of the plugins that let you make multiple columns, etc. If you have an issue with how a page is going together try posting the problem and see if someone can give you an answer. Also since you won Dreamweaver you could "try" it and see how it works for you. I expect it may be a learning curve you don't want to climb.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:25 AM
Dona

43 posts · Jul 2010
Thanks!
I am not familiar with floating div, I will see if I can find some info online about it.

I would like to create a page that has muliple columns (and sizes) - sometimes 1, sometimes 2 sometimes 3 ... etc. Is that possible to do with a column (or floating div) plugin?

Can you suggest some (or one) plugin for both the columns and floating divs that work well with ATO?

Thanks again for all your help!
Dona
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:35 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Page Columnist and WP Columnize are two plugins you can check out.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
Dona

43 posts · Jul 2010
Thanks, I will try them out.

I am thinking of using Dreamweaver to do some simple edits (at first) to get a feel for it.
When I go to start a new page, I have to choose either HTML, CSS, PHP ... and a list of other options (I have to chose one). Which is the best to choose?

Thanks
Dona
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:45 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I am not that familiar with Dreamweaver any more but I suspect you want to choose HTML since you are building a page.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:24 PM
Dona

43 posts · Jul 2010
That is what I thought, but I knew that CSS was also used in Wordpress, so I didn't know which one would be best.

Thanks!
Dona