Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Use a child theme for storing CSS?

Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
bda

30 posts · Feb 2011
I am getting ready to re-design our organizations web site in WordPress and have a few questions that will help me get started.

1. From what I read, you don't need a child theme to preserve the options you've changed when Atahualpa is updated - as the changed options are preserved. Is this true?

2. If I am going to edit the CSS for styles, etc. would a child theme be what I'm looking to create? Or would these CSS changes also be preserved when the Atahualpa theme is updated?

3. I've read the Atahualpa 4 will be a responsive theme - is this correct? Any timeframe for when it will be released?

Thanks for your answers.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) true - options are stored in the wp-options table in the database
2) Alot of the styling is done in the theme options. There is also a section CSS Inserts to add any other styling you want. These are stored in the database with the rest of the options.
3) Don't know the specifics of what it will contain or when it will be out- sorry
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
bda

30 posts · Feb 2011
Thanks for the quick response. One more question:

Our current site has a form that is sent via email when folks want to request an interlibrary loan. Can I copy and paste the HTML from the existing form onto a page in WP and re-create the form.

If you go to: www.stjathenaeum.org/renew_reserve.htm you can see the form.

Thanks. This forum is most helpful.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Sure you can put the form HTML in, but without the backend code to process the form, it won't do anything
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
zingo5

92 posts · Sep 2011
The free version of GWAautoresponder has pretty good documentation on how to take the styling from your old form and add it to a new GWA form. You can use roughly the same procedure to add it to a form made with Contact7 or Forms Manager.