Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] A Fixed-Width Center Column with Fluid Layout

Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:49 PM
seleniumgirl

11 posts · Dec 2009
Hi Flynn, JuggleDad and other Atahualpa gurus--

I'm not the most experienced designer ever, but I love the Atahualpa theme for its flexibility. Thank you! I've been trying to determine if it is possible to create a fixed-width center column when layout is fluid. There are several threads on this matter, and it seems a fixed width center-column is only possible when layout is a fixed width (e.g., 1200px) by defining sidebar widths. True?

This is what I have:

- atahualpa 3.4.6
- left and right sidebars with defined widths and empty widgets
- center column with data

This is what I'd like:

- a center column in which the text doesn't expand/contract when the window size changes.

Can I make the right column(s) fluid? Do I have to make a template? (I hope not.) I've fiddled around with CSS width for .coltwo , .colthree, and .colfour, but none of these seems to impact the center column width. I thought I could do something with #middle, but it doesn't seem to make a dent.

I'd love to hear thoughts when you have a chance. Enjoy the day!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
A fixed width center area is only avaliable with a fixed with layout. Is is probably possible to alter the code to make the center area fixed and a sidebar flexable, however it's not something that would be quick to do.

Might I ask why you would want a sidebar to be a flexable width?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:13 AM
seleniumgirl

11 posts · Dec 2009
Hey JD!

Thanks for the reply. Re: the flexible sidebar: this was just a brainstorm. I figured I could compensate for the fluid layout with a fixed center column by having a fluid right sidebar. That's all. I'll see if I can revise my design scheme for use with a fixed layout, then. Thanks!

To summarize for all future parties with fixed-center-column inquiries:
In Atahualpa, the foundation permits a fixed center column with a fixed layout. In the case of a fluid layout, the center column will always be fluid unless otherwise coded or if a template is created.

Last edited by seleniumgirl; Apr 22, 2010 at 09:22 AM.