Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » FAQ - Atahualpa » Header »

HOWTO: put your image in the header

Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
preciousfoods

34 posts · Jun 2010
Jeez, you're always there and always so helpful... wow... thanks
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:34 PM
preciousfoods

34 posts · Jun 2010
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6538 on changing code to link header to other sitecan't access sniff, one must pay?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
There are several additional features for people who have donated, tutorials is one of them. There is even an enhancement in the diamond forums to allow you to 'sort' or 'shuffle' the header images. People who support thru donatiions deserve some extras.

One of my rules of thumbs is that I start ignoring people who have made more than 20 posts and haven't donated. I'd rather help out people who have donated and the more someone has donated the better service they will get.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
preciousfoods

34 posts · Jun 2010
[Moderator note: This users rant has been deleted because of the language and this user has been banned]

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 18, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 03:13 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I usually don't respond to anyone who can't be bothered to use more interesting epithets, but I think the forum at large should pay attention to these points:
  • You can find an answer to almost any question here, by doing a search first to see if somebody has already asked/answered it
  • If your search isn't productive, ask your question, and chances are that one of us who has used the theme a lot will give you the answer, or at least point you to the right place to find it yourself
  • The forum owner and moderator work very hard at their jobs and provide this amazing Atahualpa theme for free to the Wordpress community. They have the right to earn money from their efforts, and most of us are happy to donate for their help. If you can't or won't donate, fine. You're welcome to search for answers freely posted, but if you want more customized help, be prepared to pay for it, as you would in most other areas of life.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:29 PM
Jimsplace

20 posts · Aug 2009
U.S.A. Indiana
Have been off my blog for about 3 weeks. It did an auto upgrade to latest version. Not looking anything like it did. Header has been replaced as well. What happened? All that work gone!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
Jimsplace

20 posts · Aug 2009
U.S.A. Indiana
Thought I would add, all the pics and header choices that were on the server are gone. folder empty.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The WordPress automatic upgrade replaces the theme folder. This wipes out the images folder and loads it with the defaults. This is one reason I do manual updates.

You should always backup your database, the contents of wp-contents and wp-config.php before doing any upgrade.

If you have a backup, you can just copy the image back to the atahualpa/images/header folder and get rid of the three default ones.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
tazaguru

3 posts · Jul 2010
Hi, I loved the template and donated $20 for making this template and supporting all of us here. I am interested to get the logo image to have clickable areas and for some reason, I seem to be lacking privilege to the link that supposedly explains how-to. Please advice. Once again, I enjoyed moving from what I had before to this template.

I loved 3.4.9 as I liked three columns (not that I could not get that in newer version) and probably the logo pictures made me move forward with 3.4.9

Good job and keep the good works!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
tazaguru

3 posts · Jul 2010
Totally agree with Paulae. What I loved about the template is you can customize to most of the requirements anyone could think of. No doubt that you ought to be knowing html/CSS/php if you would like to customize. That said, off-the-shelf, I observed that there was lot of thought that had gone in (for ex., I had to make changes done in the dveelopment area and move into producution area. I just exported and imported into production and it was all done!)

So, donate as its FREE but they are generous to respond and support.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:53 AM
tazaguru

3 posts · Jul 2010
I poked around and found the solution. So, ignore my request about opening the privilege for my account.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
jessesco

6 posts · Jul 2010
Sorry for this silly question. I am new to WordPress and still trying to learn my way. This is a most wonderful theme! I absolutely love it and will be donating come pay day.

Anyhow: I've read everything about changing your header to a custom image. The problem is that I don't understand how to access the library. My site is being hosted and I am using Wordpress. But how do I get into the library where my files are?

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
See the FAQ http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8521

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 27, 2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:44 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
There are no silly questions. There are questions that are about how Wordpress works, not the theme, however. In this case, you need to know how to use FTP to get your header image files into the right place. When you say your site is hosted, you mean you're paying for hosting at a hosting company, right? You're not using a free blog at wordpress.com, right?

Get yourself a program like CuteFTP or use the free FireFTP add-on for Firefox. Learn how to connect to your server. This info should have been in the welcome email you got from your hosting company.

You'll navigate to the wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header folder and upload your image files from your hard drive to the host server.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:00 PM
jessesco

6 posts · Jul 2010
Thanks Paula. I'll definitely try that when I get home this evening!

And also: Just found the email from my Host that shows how to access the panel and web storage. Thanks!

Last edited by jessesco; Jul 27, 2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:50 AM
abhayns

15 posts · Aug 2010
Rutland, UK.
Send a message via Skype™ to abhayns
Thank you for a very clear explanation however I cannot edit the permissions/attributes of the folder (or anything in the directory ) so cannot upload the new image. I use Plesk control panel which usually works for changing permissions & have tried 7 failed using FTP client Cute. The Theme is loaded onto www.hayns.co.uk/hayns Please advise how I should edit the permissions. Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:22 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
You shouldn't need to change permissions for the theme folder holding the header images. I never like using any control panel for file transfer; I always use a separate FTP client program like CuteFTP or the free Firefox add-on, FireFTP. You can try CuteFTP for free before paying for it: http://www.cuteftp.com/products/ftp_clients.aspx
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:50 AM
abhayns

15 posts · Aug 2010
Rutland, UK.
Thank you for replying. I have tried to change permissions using Cute but I am still denied access. Final error message reads:....

48:46] 550 CHMOD 777 /httpdocs/hayns/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353: Operation not permitted
ERROR:> [19/08/2010 14:48:46] Requested action not taken (e.g., file or directory not found, no access).
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
The permissions for that folder should be 755, not 777, and it's at 755 by default when you install the theme.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:49 PM
abhayns

15 posts · Aug 2010
Rutland, UK.
Paula, thank you for your interest & time taken to respond. I'm inexperienced so presuming that I'm making some simple mistake however I have changed permissions successfully for other software. In this case I have tried unsuccessfully to change the permission using Plesk and Cute. Have you any further advice? Do you think it might be a good idea to re-install the Theme? Dare I attempt to make the change via the Command line using Putty?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I have no idea what Putty is, but as I said, you should not need to change the permissions at all on that folder. If you have somehow screwed it up, then yes, why not delete the theme and start over?

And remember, you need to upload your header image(s) via FTP. When you delete the theme, you'll also be deleting anything you had in the theme's folders, so just re-upload the header image, any favicon you are using, etc. Changes made to the theme options should be stored in the database.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:00 PM
Sicilian

2 posts · Aug 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to Sicilian
I just signed up with Paypal to give you a donation but I have to wait a couple of days for my credit card to clear so that I have a code to use. Once done, the money will be in your pocket.

Thank you for creating the marvelous theme Atahualpa that I'm now using. I'm still a bit green around the gills but I'm working my way through all the mazes to achieve the look I want.

In addition to inserting your own photos in the header, I'm going to have to research how to get my Google Ad Sense back on the page and how to create sub-menus. Perserverance is now my new name for the time being.

Again, thank you for the beautiful theme. I'll try to do it justice.

Last edited by Sicilian; Aug 23, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
Sicilian

2 posts · Aug 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to Sicilian
Hi Juggledad: Just wanted to let you know that I filled your pocket as promised. Thanks for the great advice.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
calebjc

1 posts · Sep 2010
Thank you. I am trying to use Atahualpa to teach 18 EdTech students basic Web media design and production. I've used the theme a lot personally, but never with multiple users. We have a WPMU that our IT dept. has installed, but they say there is no good way to let each student upload header images or logos for their blog. This will make it hard for me to teach students how to design their own blog if we all have to share one, or a rotating set, of header images!

I love the theme, particularly because it is so well designed from an instructional point of view.

Any pointers?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 02:45 PM
akakillroy

3 posts · Sep 2010
I understand the whole, "donate bit" I developed pnPHPBB2 for PostNuke some years ago so I am willing to share my "Contribution" to the these that ads the ability directly to the configuration page, and can be enabled and disabled easily. Just by modifying a few lines of code in a few files of the them, seems to work fine.