Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

We are in Danger of Losing our Moderators.

Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
We are in danger of losing our moderators because hardly anybody pays them. Juggledad and LMilesW spend hundreds of hours on this forum, helping, advising, and guiding us all to help us be successful. And probably less than 1% of us donates.

They could be quitting very soon. Please go to the top of the page NOW and click donate. Donate to one, donate to all. Donate $5 or $100.

Without this forum I don't know what I would do. Time and knowledge are worth something. Please make it worth their while to stay.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
+1

Too many people come, take, leave.

What if we go to a pay up front system? If you have a question, it should be accompanied with a receipt number. Once the mods know how much the person is actually prepared to pay for at least initial advice, then they know how much time they can comfortably invest in helping that person.

Larry and JD are worth every $. It's not like you're going to get ripped off, they are both genuine, honest people.

If you have a question, and no receipt number, mods (I feel) should just ignore the question. People may need a reminder?
No contribution from question maker = no contribution from the mods.
Sounds like a fair trade to me.

PS. and no doubt people will contribute $5 expecting a detailed response and all their problems solved. $5 contribution = $5 response, simple.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:30 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Hi Jam,

Not a bad idea at all. I was thinking more along the line of a subscription site. i.e. leave everything on the site that is there now, but active moderation from Larry and Juggledad only happens when you pay $60 a year? $80 a year? Mind you if there were 500 people who paid $60, that is only $30,000 between two people.

Can we hear what the moderators think? I would be willing to pay for certain and I am sure that others would be too. I have seen a couple of threads where people were getting downright snippy about not understanding the free advice they were being given. Sheesh!

Forum has been a lifesaver for me and I have made friends here. I would be very very very sorry to see it go. I believe Atahulapa's success has been due to the professional moderation and support.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
TraciBunkers

32 posts · Jan 2012
I'm not sure how to implement this, but perhaps it could be done along the lines of the http://shopplugin.net/ site. There's a community forum where people help each other, and also moderators pop in and help. But there's also a help desk for when you can't figure out a problem, or to see if there's a bug. You start a ticket, and are assigned to a moderator. After they help you, you are supposed to tip them as part of the service--and it's set up so you can do it very easily. I'm not sure if everyone tips, but I ALWAYS do because I'm so grateful for the help.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:36 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Good idea, Traci.

I am sure the moderators are watching this thread. I am shocked at the total lack of response from what is apparently a fairly large community of over 600 members.

I think this thread has been buried with newer threads since, so I am hoping there is a way they can keep it sticky for a while.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciBunkers
I'm not sure how to implement this, but perhaps it could be done along the lines of the http://shopplugin.net/ site. There's a community forum where people help each other, and also moderators pop in and help. But there's also a help desk for when you can't figure out a problem, or to see if there's a bug. You start a ticket, and are assigned to a moderator. After they help you, you are supposed to tip them as part of the service--and it's set up so you can do it very easily. I'm not sure if everyone tips, but I ALWAYS do because I'm so grateful for the help.
That's pretty much what we have already, without the ticket system. Mods step in and help, recipients "should" respect the time, knowledge and effort taken by the mods to help them, and one would only hope people contribute for that assistance. For the significantly most part, they don't. They ask, they take, they leave.
For the thousands of readers who dont even have to ask a question, all they need to do is a decent search and find the answers, again mostly given by the mods. Their time, their knowledge, their contribution to help other people - and what does that reader give back? Lucky to get a thank you, let alone a contribution.

There will always be takers, users.

My suggestion:
1. Pay/donate up front or no answer.
2. Level of donation = level of support.
3. All "valuable" posts get moved to Diamond Donor forum.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:28 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Jam, while you are correct in everything you say, I believe we will get more response if we educate people and tell them the situation rather than shaming them.

Even if 600 people a month paid $3 it would be better than the 2¢ an hour they are being paid now.

I am hoping the moderators will make this a sticky post somewhere so that more people see it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:22 PM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Horse Country in Virginia
We have great moderators/helpers. Fast responses to problems.
The history on this site is a treasure chest filled with help from these guys. They Deserve our support!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:22 PM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Wholeheartedly agree, Sharon

I'm all for Subscription site, it's only fair and reasonable.

Juggledad and Larry have given so much time and knowledge.

Thankfully,

Katy
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:06 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
I would support a subscription site.

Meanwhile I want to freshen my welcome (not that it has ever been an issue - help has always been promptly forthcoming and of the very highest quality) but I no longer use PayPal. Is there another gateway to pay directly from a debit card?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:46 PM
billc108

22 posts · Jun 2009
I just kicked in for both of them. I've definitely derived benefit from their contributions.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 08:57 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Yay, BillC,

If every one of us just fires over 5 bucks every time we solve a problem, they will probably be happy. For me, I am a website designer, so I can pass this off to my customer, who benefits. Way to go and I am sure they thank you.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:25 PM
pascalel

16 posts · Jul 2010
Just donated. Wish I could donate more. This theme has been so good to me. THANK YOU MODS!!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:39 PM
teal

11 posts · Apr 2012
North Carolina, USA
I agree completely that their help is invaluable and people should show their appreciation. However, one of the reasons you may have seen a poor response is that not many have seen your post. I only just saw it today for the first time. I am not on here that much and when I am, I am searching for something and so it narrows your vision.

Also, in making these decisions, please keep in mind that part of the wonderfulness of the Atahualpa theme as well as this forum is that so much usefulness has been so freely given. I have found no other theme than Atahualpa that allows almost limitless customization. To show you how limited I am, I can't even understand how to use the Montezuma theme, lol. Anyway, I would not be here right now, nor would I have accomplished the things I've finally been able to accomplish if not for the help that was freely given here. I donated at the first moment I was able, and I will donate again in the future, as I am able, but my income is very limited and if I had had to pay $60 or $80 just to even be able to search the forums I would have had to go away empty-handed. Because I found help here I was actually able to get to a point where I could happily donate and I am certain to be at that point again very soon.
It's great to have reminders as I am sure people forget about the amount of time that is freely given here and forget to be thankful.
But I am saying before you go to an all-paid system, please consider the help that has been given here to people who genuinely could not pay anything, or could only pay $3 or $5. Maybe it's not necessary to completely shut people out -- keep those payments small as possible, but more often -- or at least keep the forums searchable by anyone. Also, remember how many scams and how many not-scams-but-just-not-worth-it there are on the internet and a person has no way of knowing just how super-helpful these mods are compared to the rest if they have to pay before even glimpsing the info here.
I'm not disagreeing that they should get paid better, esp since apparently not as many people as I thought are paying, but I just wanted you to remember there is another side.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:41 PM
bswb97

158 posts · Aug 2010
Agree that I JUST saw this post. Usually I come in, do a search for old info, and that's it. I've donated a few times but I would be totally up for supporting Ata with a subscription service and tiered support. It is far FAR better than any other "customizable" (ha!) theme out there.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:42 PM
bswb97

158 posts · Aug 2010
Also, I've noticed that a lot of questions get repeated over the years. What about starting off with a free level FAQ/knowledge base and non-moderator support? And then tiered subscription levels for direct support?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:54 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I am really glad you feel that way. If every time you get some good support, even if you throw $3-$5 at a moderator, over a year that could translate to $100 or way more

I know I ask for a lot of support, so Juggledad has a $15 donation in the offing for one issue alone- and that is cheap advice, honestly....it should be far more.

It may come as no surprise that the moderators pay more considered attention to the gold and diamond forums, and why not? No one is coming to their houses in a trance promising to pay their mortgages! (sure as hell no one is coming to MY house saying that!!)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:43 AM
nberryman

14 posts · Nov 2010
I agree with all of the above. I haven't actually asked a question in years but I end up looking for all ready answered questions here nearly every time I work on a web page. I develop exclusively in Wordpress using Atahualpa theme so that is often. I just donated a little more to everyone since I anticipate asking more questions in the near future (like today )

Thanks BFA and BFA Moderators for all your help.

Nick B
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:32 AM
ArtHart

12 posts · Mar 2014
Pearland, Texas
I was happy to donate prior to asking my first question as I appreciate the need for exchange of value for value. What we are receiving from this forum's moderators is "Exchange in Abundance," a concept originally promulgated by L. Ron Hubbard. The fact that so few people are practicing even "fair exchange" is, in my opinion, a problem rampant in today's society. Too many people have been brought up expecting to receive something for nothing. This is a level of exchange that Mr. Hubbard termed "ripoff" or "criminal" exchange.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:27 AM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
if there was a better way to search the forum for an answer maybe there would not be so many repeat questions, I think I've spent triple the time searching than asking questions.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:30 AM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinoz
if there was a better way to search the forum for an answer maybe there would not be so many repeat questions, I think I've spent triple the time searching than asking questions.
I think this topic might warrant a separate thread. I feel the same way but this thread is more about supporting those that help us. We get great help.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:35 AM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
By the way. speaking about finding things. Where is the listing of 'awards' for contributing? I think this should be more prominent on the site. ...gold bars, diamonds..... It might encourage people to donate to our helpers.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:59 AM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimflyfast2
I think this topic might warrant a separate thread. I feel the same way but this thread is more about supporting those that help us. We get great help.
I agree, yes we do get great help, although I have asked for personal paid help following the instructions and been ignored so figure they didn't need any more donations, but I might give it a try again next time I'm stuck on an issue that I can't find in search.

I actually posted the question of paying someone to help with code in this forum in Oct 29, 2012 and have got no replies to it as yet.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 07:36 AM
MarieDi

5 posts · Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciBunkers
That's a great model!
I'd vote for that one.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:48 AM
pewpsockemz

3 posts · Apr 2014
I'd like to know for sure if they are going to stay if I donate. Just signed up and plan on using this theme exclusively for my community webpage. If they make an official thread stating the concerns of stepping down from moderation (or if there is one ill look) because of funding then I may consider donating. I may donate anyways but i don't want to donate to them and have them leave. I really want this service.