Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

2.9 upgrade went OK except for 2 plugins

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:11 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
2.9 upgrade went OK except for 2 plugins

I just upgraded my news site, http://larchmontgazette.com to Wordpress 2.9. I was afraid major problems would crop up, but the only real disaster is that the Custom Post Templates plugin no longer works, nor does the Front Page Manager plugin. The WP-Page Navi plugin works only partially; it used to show the nice boxed page numbers at the foot of the front page center column, but now only "older entries" shows up there, while the boxed numbers show up at the foot of the news category pages.

My method:
  1. Full database backup
  2. Backed up via FTP all of the plugins, theme files, contents of wp-content/uploads
  3. made a backup list of all of the custom code I'm using in PHP widgets, as well as the Widget Logic code for each widget
  4. deactivated all plugins
  5. ran the auto-update

At this point, I was told the update was done and had gone well. My site looked awful, of course. Content that should show only on certain pages or in certain categories was all crowding onto the front page.

I went back into the plugins admin area and re-activated them one by one, checking the front page and admin area each time. When I got to the Custom Post Templates plugin and activated it, I got parse errors. The Front Page Manager made everything go kaflooey.

I had read in the WP forums that some people were having problems with post scheduling. Since we use that feature a lot, I tested it right away. I set a test post to publish 10 minutes in the future. It worked. I hope it works for days or weeks in the future. We'll see.

So far, so good. I wish all of you luck with your upgrades!