Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Really confused about where code goes - yes I'm a noob!

Old May 28, 2010, 11:55 AM
maverick9999

8 posts · May 2010
Hello everyone - I am a newby. I have been able to figure out how to install Atahualpa, but I am confused about how to customize things (beyond the simple options available). Please see below for a few of my questions, and thanks for your time! (I have checked out 'wordpress for beginners' on their site, but I am still confused after reading many pages).

***Where do I insert custom code? For example, how do I know if it should go in the 'edit/style' area of header, pages, etc. or 'add html/css inserts'? Could someone explain this please.

***How do I change things like (I don't expect exact answers for all of these, but could you let me know if it requires custom coding and how to figure out where to put it?):

-my page menu bar has rounded edges, and I want them to be sharp corners. Do I need custom code for this - where would I put it?

-getting rid of bars that are hugging the top and bottom of my header image (and no, I don't have 'bar1 or bar2' in the header area on - when I downloaded the theme, they were already there. I spent like 2 hours trying to find out where it was in the options but I think it's in the code).

Those are just a handful of the questions I have, but I don't want to overburden anyone with them. Mostly, I'm just REALLY confused about where the code goes, and how to know for sure you are putting it in the right place. Thanks in advance.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Wow... Lot's of questions and a bit too much to answer in one sitting. First of all and especially since you are new at this the only changes you should make are the the Atahualpa Theme Options (ATO). Changing any of the code in the files will complicate upgrades. You can really do anything you want from within ATO. Bottom line you don't need to do any "custom coding".

CSS and some HTML are two areas you should start getting familiar with and you can check out W3Schools.com for tutorials and guides. Also the documentation built into the ATO is pretty complete. It can be a bit daunting but know that if you do something "wrong" there you can reset individual areas or the whole theme.

So I would say start playing with some setting within ATO, monitor this forum, and when you have some specific questions ask away. When you ask it's always a good idea to mention the versions of WordPress and Atahulapa you are using along with a URL to the site in question. For instance with regards to the questions you asked it really helps to see what you are talking about.

I hope this helps.
Old May 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
one other thing, when ever you post a thread start with three things (1) the version of Atahualpa you are using, (2) the version of WP and (3) your URL.