Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Can I add widgets to the center column?

Old Jan 7, 2010, 04:16 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hello there.

Is there a simple way to add widget areas to the center column? If possible I would like to add up to 6 or 8 and change the size and appearance of each one.

Thanks
gary
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Yup, check out ATO->Add new WIDGET AREAS
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:48 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Juggledad

Yep, done that but I'm not sure where to start. Is the example code given in "Add new WIDGET AREAS" the correct code to use in the "Style and Edit Centre Column". As I mentioned, I would like to add 6 or 8 widget areas and tweak the appearance and size of each one.

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Well do you want to add 6-8 widgets, or 6-8 widget areas in which you can put multiple widgets?
the sample will work
HTML Code:
<div id="my_new_widget_area" class="my_widget_area"> Widgets will go here </div>
this will create one widget area and you will see it in 'dashboard->apearances-widgets' called 'my_new_widget_area' and it will have a class you can use in any CSS Selectors you want to setup
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:56 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
What kind of widgets are you going to make? Creating the widget area just means you're creating a widget-enabled placeholder. It's when you are in the Appearance/Widgets part of admin that you'll insert the widget into your new widget area. I have several Text widgets which contain not text but images. You could use the Text widget to create a table of a certain size, containing something else. The width of the widget will be constrained by how wide your center column is, which is itself constrained by the width of your sidebars, padding, etc.

Many plugins that have their own widgets let you set dimensions and other properties. You can use Widget Logic to set where the widget will appear (i.e., on which pages or categories).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:44 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Paulae/Juggledad

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's widget areas I want to add first, probably 6-8. Then I will use the widgets installed, text and image to fill each area.

I currently have a left, inner left and right side bar. If adding these widget areas works, I will probably dump the right side bar as the width of the center will increase.

Fingers crossed it looks great when finished,

Cheers
Gary
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:56 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Juggledad

Well I've failed. I have put this <div id="my_new_widget_area" class="my_widget_area"> Widgets will go here </div>
into the style and edit center column page where it says The Loop. Is this correct?

I can't see a my new widgets in the dashboard and I have just the words "widgets will go here" in my site in the center coloumn

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:13 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Juggledad

Well I've failed. I have put this <div id="my_new_widget_area" class="my_widget_area"> Widgets will go here </div>
into the style and edit center column page where it says The Loop. Is this correct?

I can't see a my new widgets in the dashboard and I have just the words "widgets will go here" in my site in the center coloumn

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
It's not working because you have to use PHP to get the widget area established.

You'll see examples of the code in the theme options/Add new widget areas section. I used the most basic one:
Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?>
, but I change My new widget area to something that makes sense, like topbannerad, or whatever. Put the code in the Style & Edit Center column area. I've got mine Above the Loop.

Save that. Now go into the widgets area and you should see your new one. At that point, use the Text widget. Drag it into your new widget area and insert whatever text, image HTML, or whatever you want. Or use one of the other widgets available.

Sometimes after you save the new widget area, you need to go to the front page, then back into admin in order for the new widget area to show up. Remember: you're creating a new widget AREA here, not a new widget. The widgets are placed in a widget area.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 01:44 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I bad. I copied the result of the example. The actual code is
HTML Code:
which will give you what was posted above. Sorry about that.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:51 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Paulae

Thank you for the advice. I have tried to add that example in the above the loop section on the edit center column page, saved it and get an error message on my site. Do I have to delete the standard code already in the above the loop area? Do I put the new widget php code at the start or the finish of that code if I leave it there? I checked my widgets and the new area also hasn't been created.

Thank again,
Gary
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) what is the error you get?
2) copy and paste the entire 'Above the LOOP' into your reply and surround it with
HTML Code:
..the code here...
(or use the little HTML button above) so I can see the code

Normally something like this is a type or it's out in the wrong place, inside another piece pf PHP code
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:18 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: str_ireplace() in "my site" on line 321

This is the code thats in the "above the loop section" As you can see the add widget code is at the bottom.
<?php /* For MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_page_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* For SINGLE post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_post_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* For the plugin Page2Cat http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/ */
if( is_category() AND function_exists('page2cat_output')) { page2cat_output($cat); } ?>

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ahhh that error, you are running php4 on your site, you should go to php5 - check with your host. Some hosts allow you to add a line to the htaccess file to change this

Meanwhile what version of Atahalpa are you running? This should have been fixed in ver 3.4.2. If you are not on 3.4.4 please upgrade to it and see if the error still exists
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:56 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi

Upgraded to 3.4.4 and wordpress to the latest version. Error now gone and my new widget area has appeared in the widget section. Great thanks Juggledad. I now want to add a few more areas and resize and style these individually so get a number of these in my center column.Can you advise me on this please.

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You can add the code in other places (change the names of the widget areas), you can also have more than one area in each section. Then you can use CSS Inserts to style then however you want.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:40 PM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Thanks Juggledad

Took your advice and upgraded to 3.4.4 and the latest version of wordpress.

HELP! All my existing widgets, whether text or image with caption or forms hace all lost their titles. In fact they are there but now they are black font on my black background. If I highlight them on my site I can see they are still there. How do I change the font colour/title colour back to white?

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What have you got set at ATO->Style WIDGETS->Widget Title
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:59 PM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Juggledad

I've noticed its not just my widget titles that have gone but all my page titles. Again, if I move my mouse over them on my site I can see them. They are all black on black not white text on black background as before I upgraded.

Also they seem to be a litte larger in font size. I haven't changed any setting in ATO.

Any ideas?

Gary
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Theis just happened after adding the new widget areas right? Or did it happen when you added some widgets in? If so what widgets

Is this site online? So I can take a look?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:21 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Hi

By all means take a look. http://www.discovery-mpv.co.uk/

I have not added any of the new widget areas to this site. I was testing this first on a sister site not yet fully developed. As you can see, the home page has a form on the left hand side of the page. At the top of this there should be the text "Got a Question?" The same for the Menu to the left, text should read "Fast Track Search". All these titles were in white text (#ffffff) If you highlight them with the mouse you can see them so they are still there but have turned black. This is the same for the page title on all the pages I've added.

So, I haven't done any modification to the content only upgrading from 3.4.2 to 3.4.4 and also at the same time I changed to WP 2.9.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
there was a change in how Flynn handles widgets at some point, but here is how to fix it. You can eithor go to ATO->Style WIDGETS->Widget Title and add color:#FFFFFF; or use a CSS Insert .widget h3 { color: #00FFFF; }

eithor should take care of it for you.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:52 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009
Spot on Juggledad. My widget and menu titles are back now. The widget title code brought their titles back and the css insert brought the menu titles back.

The only thing that still isn't right is the page titles. Look at this page for example:- http://www.discovery-mpv.co.uk/?page_id=703

should say Vauxhall Vivaro above where it says "save £'s with Discovery but it only does if you highlight it with the mouse on the site. This is the same with all pages with a title.

Any clues?

Thanks Gary
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
at 'ATO->Style POSTS & PAGES->HEADLINE Box: Text' add color: #FFFFFF;
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:01 AM
gaz7575

17 posts · Oct 2009

Great - you are a hero!

Should of tried that myself, getting there with all this techie stuff. Great theme and great support - many thanks.

All done, now for my new widget area's!

Best regards,
Gary