Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Using Custom Fields....

Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:39 AM
mbro

12 posts · Jul 2009
Hi All,

I have a basic site using Atahualpa and would like to do something most likely complicated and possibly impossible......

The site is for a junior football team which contains numerous teams, split by age groups.

I have a page set up for their results which I manually input, however as I publish a report for each teams game every week I am hoping there is a way I can automate this input using the custom fields options.

ie - http://www.roachdynamos.co.uk/?page_id=512 contains a teams fixtures/results which are manually inputted, however - http://www.roachdynamos.co.uk/?p=644 - is the report that links to the first game in the results table.

Is there any way I could use these custom fields to autofill the results table please?

Sorry if I duplicated the question.....

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
sure you could do this. You will have to add a new table in the database to store the input values and then you will need to code a new page with the appropriate database calls to get the data and format it for your reports.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 02:30 AM
mbro

12 posts · Jul 2009
Thanks for the reply juggledad.

Can you point a relative newbie in the right area of where to begin please?

I am guessing I will need to specify the table at some point to insert the data, and this will need to be added to the create a new post page? Is that correct so far, if so where do I begin please?

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
How much SQL do you know?
Do you know the syntax of an 'insert'? How about a select? Do you know how to code php?
How many hours are you willing to spend doing this or how much are you willing to spend to have someone do this?

I'm guessing this is a weeks worth of effort - 30-40 hours of design coding, testing for someone who knows what they are doing. This is not a project that I could support over the forums, it would just take too much of my time
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
mbro

12 posts · Jul 2009
I dont know a huge amount of SQL, though I do tend to pick things up and generally after having a go and googling my errors I manage to get there in the end!

I am prepared to do as much as I need to in order to get this done, as mentioned above though its for a charity/non profit making org, so sourcing an external party wouldnt be feasible.

In terms of Insert statements I have messed with these a while ago experimenting etc and then also the select statements to reproduce results in a raw data.

I would feel confident of being able to produce a simple page that would take the values, put them in a table and then retrieve them, guess this could be the starting place........