Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Widget into a page AND how to turn them on???

Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
juliejulie

9 posts · Jan 2012
[SOLVED] Widget into a page AND how to turn them on???

Hi,

Loving the Atahualpa theme! But, in the widget admin page, I have widget areas 1-4 listed as options, but when I put something in those boxes, it doesn't show up anywhere on my website. How do I add those areas?

Also, is it possible to put a widget/plugin on a specific page? Is there some easy way to make this happen (I don't know php). What about adding to the center column?

I read through some of the posts and they were either over my head or I didn't find a simple answer to the above....

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Where did you put the new widget area code? As for having them on particular pages you might use a plugin such as "Display Widgets" and set the widget in question to display on that page.

I have seen plugins that allow you to put widgets on pages but putting one in the center column would mean editing a theme file.

Last edited by lmilesw; Oct 9, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
juliejulie

9 posts · Jan 2012
Thank you for the response! Will check out those plugins.

I didn't know I had to put widget code anywhere - is there an easy way to show me how? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere....I didn't come across it in my search.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
juliejulie

9 posts · Jan 2012
I am already using dynamic widgets plugin so I can modify the widgets in the sidebar by page/post.

I want to do something like have the center column have a static paragraph then have the widget just below it listing recent posts in a particular category.

I have a work-around now where I have put an inner side bar so I have a text widget above the recent posts widget, but the formatting is not uniform with my website overall and per another post, I'm having troubles eliminating that sidebar from my Business Directory listings pages (I would have to do it one by one for thousands of listings and every new listing that is added, modify that by hand too).
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
is it possible to put a widget/plugin on a specific page?
yes, put it in index.php and wrap it in a php IF statement checking to see if it is on the correct page. for example
HTML Code:
<?php if (is_page( 9 )) { bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); };  ?>

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 28, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
siefert

21 posts · Dec 2009
I am also having trouble getting a widget area to show up in the center column on my static front page. I am using the latest version of Atahualpa and Wordpress.

In the option Appearance->Widgets, I see the center column loop widget area. I have added a widget there, Recent posts, and used Dynamic Widgets to assign it to the front page. But it doesn't show up.

Am i misunderstanding how to do this?
Am I missing another step?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:35 AM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Where did you put the new widget area code? As for having them on particular pages you might use a plugin such as "Display Widgets" and set the widget in question to display on that page.

I have seen plugins that allow you to put widgets on pages but putting one in the center column would mean editing a theme file.
this is a great little plugin using it in WordPress 3.4.2 with Atahualpa Version 3.7.9 but can't figure where to adjust the gap between the widget and the menu bar, my build is here http://stevenpotter.com.au/test/ any pointers?

Last edited by lmilesw; Oct 9, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the gap is caused by the 'height=...' you put in your table rows
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:29 AM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
the gap is caused by the 'height=...' you put in your table rows