Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

What is the best way to center the entire page?

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:53 AM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
What is the best way to center the entire page?

I am working on a site built with Atahualpa 3.5.3 and WP 3.0.1 here:

www.lotuseterneforum.com

When the site width is fixed at say 700px, everything is nicely centered.

Yet when I increased the site width to 1189px, the page loads by default to the left, and img.logo and my new widget area (text6) in the header are no longer centered to the layout.

I would like those to be centered, and I would like the page to load in the center of the visitor's browser by default.

What is the best way to accomplish this? I tried Googling and found this helpful link:

http://davidwalsh.name/horizontally-...-structure-css

I am not sure what CSS ID I need to modify in Atahualpa to apply the "{ width:900px; margin:0 auto; }" suggested, and if this is even the best way.

I tried searching the forum but I did not see a relevant topic.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. Here are the relevant CSS inserts for how the logo and text-6 widget (the ad) are positioned:

img.logo {
position: absolute;
top: 30px;
left:18px;
z-index: 59;
}

div#text-6.widget{
position: absolute;
top: 30px;
right: 18px;
z-index:60;
}

Last edited by Wimbledon; Dec 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Just to be sure are you setting your site width in ATO>Style & configure layout?

As for the other two items I would set them as position: relative and use negative positioning if necessary to get them in the right place.

If you do for some reason need to center the the site with CSS use something like the following but I would try the above first.
HTML Code:
div#container {
width: 1189px;
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
}
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Thanks for the help lmilesw.

Yes, I set the site width at ATO>Style & configure layout. Should the site be loading centered already?

I think the issue is the large header images I have in the background. Regardless of the size of the background image, I would like the visitor's page to load centered on the content box. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Wimbledon; Dec 23, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It should center. When you say the large header images you have in the background how are you putting them in the background?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
The large images are just placed in the rotating header images folder of Atahualpa. I then moved the central content up a bit so the content is overlaid on top of the images.

Sorry for the incorrect terminology -- the background itself is #FFFFFF; .
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Then yes all should center even if set to 1189px but again I would stay away from absolute positioning where possible.