Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Atahualpa: Three columns in main column - Can it be done and how?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:21 PM
Huckleberry

2 posts · Jul 2010
Greenhorn's first post.....

After sampling scores of WP themes, Atahualpa, with its elaborate theme options panel is one of the best I've found.

The design of the site I am building requires the main/center column to be divided into three (or four) sub-columns of clickable links, very much like the layout of the Drudge Report website [www.drudgereport.com], except that I want to preserve the right hand sidebar for other functions. The main column(s) will be against the left side and take up between 2/3's to 3/4's of the page width. I'm not sure if what I'm doing would be considered one, or three(or four) separate columns.

Below all that the right hand side bar will continue to the bottom, but the main column will go from being multiple sub-columns to one single column.

This will be a template for other sub-pages.

Other considerations I have are changing the header image and size, and changing the foreground/background colors or replacing with images. I don't expect more than "yes you can/no you can't" answers because I don't want to complicate the thread, but overall I think it is relevant.

Hopefully once it's built, it will be fairly simple to make daily multiple updates.

I am open to using another theme if someone knows of one more suitable for what I'm doing, but I really like this one and hope I can make it work.

Please keep in mind that I am new at this.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Huckleberry
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here is a thread for creating a two column center. Alternatively you could use the Right, Right Inner, Left, and Left Inner sidebars as "columns" depending on the kind of content and if it can be delivered via a widget. Based on the Drudge Report site, which doesn't look like a bunch of "posts" I believe you can accomplish what you want without diving into a lot of code.

As for header, and background images and sizes that is a big no problem.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:39 PM
Huckleberry

2 posts · Jul 2010
Hi lmilesw,
As long as the two columns and left sidebar appear as three identical columns, and doing that doesn't add steps to my daily updates that'll be great.

For some mysterious reason the forum won't allow me access to the "a thread" link you posted.

Thanks Again, HB
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:16 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Sorry about the link. That is in the Gold forums which requires a donation of $20 or more but it looks like using the sidebars might better suit you anyway.