Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Web Hosting for WordPress »

Web Hosting for WordPress

Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:49 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Edited Sep 16, 2014:
Overall there is no perfect host in my opinion. You'll probably run into one issue or another at some point. A host that is good now may be not so good in a year. I have deleted my recommendations. I suggest that you search webhostingtalk.com for reviews. For VPS there is also lowendbox.com

Popular names are

Shared Hosting: hostgator.com

VPS: wiredtree.com, liquidweb.com, knownhost.com, futurehosting.com, servint.com

Dedicated: webnx.com, hetzner.de

As of Sep 2014 I am loking into thes SSD hosts: ramnode.com & linode.com

Our current setup (Sep 2014) contains

- SSD drives
- Debian
- Nginx
Old Jul 12, 2009, 01:44 PM
gesman

35 posts · Feb 2009
Love hostgator.
Works flawlessly , gives good resources, supports latest PHP and MySQL and few important extra technologies such as IonCube.

Gleb
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:21 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
IonCube is a good point, other useful info to inquire about:
- mod_deflate or GZip is, or can be, enabled?
- XCache/APC/Eacc. is, or can be, enabled?
- PHP Memory Limit 32MB+ ?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:31 PM
reallylost

16 posts · May 2009
I am hosted at Ixwebhosting, started with godaddy but had to change because I have a .fr domain which go daddy can't host. My blog www.blog.chihiro.fr is very slow and I am wondering whether it's the ixwebhosting or atahualpa or wordpress. I found several posts in which you say Atahualpa is not slow, and am currently waiting for ixwebhosting to give me an answer to the slowness issue. With Vector and Hostgator, do you know whether they can host .fr domains?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
I'm using Hostgator too and having a great experience.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 01:10 AM
master072509

2 posts · Sep 2009
Shared Hosting & Reseller Hosting

personally, i use www.host100gb.com and www.1and1.com

they are fast and a good deal.

it include a domain name, 100Gb of web space, 20 email addresses, 2GB of mailbox space per account, 100 MySQL databases, 100 email aliases, photo galleries builder, web builder, blog and rss capabilities, firewall protextion, etc....

and that is only the beginner package at $4 a month. Go up to $5 a month, and get 100Gb of space, 1200 email accounts, 2 domain names, host many other websites there as well, 25 MySQL databases, etc. etc. etc....

they are the best deal i think. I've used them to host over 65-70 web sites.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 05:12 AM
Gravity

34 posts · Sep 2009
Moving to LiquidWeb, thanks for referral. Not sure if the cookie set right but I did use affiliate link.

Last edited by Gravity; Mar 24, 2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:37 AM
masterchief

18 posts · Apr 2009
Chicago, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to masterchief
I just shifted my hosting over to Bluehost. http://www.bluehost.com

$6.95/month for shared IP, additional fee of $2.00/month for dedicated IP. latest PHP and MySql.
Go to website for complete listing for webhosting plans.

regards,
William
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:14 AM
AmpLiF1eR

6 posts · Sep 2009
I use Hosthelpers.
Right now I use their free service which offers all I need.
They are fast and stable.

My website is completely free by using wordpress, free customizable template and a free host without any restrictions.
I just started several weeks ago.
I also tried Joomla to see how it works besides the wp installation on this host, and they support it all for free.

Greetings,
Amp

Last edited by AmpLiF1eR; Sep 29, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:10 AM
Aerayda

5 posts · Feb 2010
Send a message via Yahoo to Aerayda
I'm hosted at PressCEO. pressceo dot com

They are fast, stable and secure and I'm very happy with the quality of their support team. $14.95 for managed WordPress only hosting with nightly backups, domain, pre-configured plugins, themes and free installation which is such a time-saver for setting up my blogs in only minutes.

Best regards,

David

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 7, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:10 AM
Thomas

87 posts · Dec 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomas
Anyone using MediaTemple? Any feedback on them?

Thanks
Thomas
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
One of my clients uses Media Temple and I am building a site there right now. So far no issues.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thomas

87 posts · Dec 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomas
Yeah I've been using them for some time and they've been great. Prices are more expensive than what I see above in this thread but probably in line with regard to pricing for various feature sets. Their support is fantastic..readily accessible, knowledgeable, and they follow up with a personalized email and any other helpful hints or docs right after your support call (if you do call). They use Plesk which is different than cPanel which I was used to but now that I am familiar with Plesk, I really like it. I tend to be fairly critical and slightly high maintenance with any kind of provider\vendor and so a thumbs up from me is definitely a strong recommendation. And just a disclaimer - I'm not in the business of promoting server companies\not a member of any of their affiliate programs - this is just my $.02
Old May 27, 2010, 04:17 AM
RagingBull

1 posts · May 2010
Christchurch, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanft
I'm using Hostgator too and having a great experience.
I totally agree. Hostgator have the excellent fantastico (double positive??), which makes things easier.

Also the service is great if you ever have a problem there is always someone there. Not that I've had any problems, but people tell me that.

How's that for my first post?

Cheers!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:01 AM
Terrance

1 posts · Jun 2010
I think I'll sign up with hostgator! It sounds like exactly what I need.