Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

WPMU - new widget area(S) ?

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:24 PM
teros

3 posts · Jul 2009
Playing with this great framework on a test site with wpmu. Using Atahualpa 3.4.2 w/wpmu 2.8.2.

I'd like to add an RSS feed from all blogs site wide and probably a forum too I but don't want to have it in the sidebar....I'd like to have a page dedicated to this instead and have the rss display in the center column (like a post).

I've tried the Add New Widget Area function but can't seem to get a new widget area to "stick". Its not showing up in the admin backend under widgets. 1st I tried by adding the code into the center column as per the excellent instructions, then tried hard coding it into index.php above the loop. No luck either way.

I did manage, previously, to add a new footer widget by hardcoding the php into the footer file.

Is this a wpmu problem ?
Is there a limit to the number of new widget areas you can add maybe ?
Or am I just doing something wrong ?

Assuming no simple solution does anyone know another way, aside from using a widget, to add RSS feeds into posts/pages ?

Tia
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:06 PM
korni

2 posts · Sep 2009
I've been doing the same thing with Atahualpa 3.4.2, WP 2.8.4, but I didn't hardcore.
I did as the instructions suggest, put the codes in the text areas in the Atahualpa theme options.
This worked great for one widget area, but only for one. If I give all the widget areas the same name, they all show on my site. But if i use different names, only one widget area shows on the widget page in the admin backend.

Anyone who have a solution to this?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 03:14 PM
jerice50

5 posts · Aug 2009
I have a similar - yet completely different problem.

I want to add a dedicated page which consists almost entirely with the content of an RSS which is supposed to open in widget. I have the content code, and would like to put it where I can make such a page, but I can't figure out how to do so. I have looked for "content" and "body" in the templates, and nothing makes sense.

Curiously, this widget doesn't work in the sidebar, and I am so clueless, that I am about to go out to the porch and watch the traffic go by.

My site is: directoryofcheese.com - in case that helps.

I would appreciate guidance here, thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:22 AM
korni

2 posts · Sep 2009
-> jerice50
I am new to Wordpress, just started using it this week. But maybe I can help you in the right direction..

I am not shure if I understand you right, but doesn't the widget work at all? Which widget are you using? Does the instructions provide a shortcode [code] to insert the widget?

If I understand you right, you want to insert the widget on a page. Have you made a new page and inserted the shortcode in the page content?
Or do I misunderstand you completely?