Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

%category-linked% bug? It don't display the first assigned category for a post.

Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:57 AM
conon

21 posts · Mar 2009
There seem to be problem with %category-linked% or %category%. It don't display the first category a post belongs to as it should for me.

I would like to display 1 category in the Byline and I need it to be the first category assigned to the post or alternatively exclude a specific category to be shown in the byline.

I use a 'Featured' Category that I assign to posts that I want to feature in Dynamic Content Gallery but I don't want the featured category to be displayed in the Byline. It should display the other Category (News, Post etc) that a post belongs to instead.

I have tried with this code in bfa_postinfo.php without luck:
PHP Code:
// 1st category, linked

if ( strpos($postinfo_string,'%category-linked%') !== FALSE ) {

$all_categories get_the_category(); 

//Default to first category

$categoryIndex 0;

//If first category is "Featured", select second category

if ($all_categories[$categoryIndex] == 10)

$categoryIndex 1;

$category $all_categories[$categoryIndex]->cat_name;

$category_linked '<a href="' get_category_link($all_categories[$categoryIndex]->cat_ID) .

'">' $category '</a>';

$postinfo str_replace("%category-linked%"$category_linked$postinfo);
    } 
I would appreciate any hint or help

Thanks

I use Atahualpa 3.4.6
Link to site: http://bit.ly/aTa8yB
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
can you gie some more detail.
Please list an example of a post and all it's categories and the category that is showing up.

try this, add '%categories(', ')%' to the kicker and
add '%category-linked%' to the byline
the first category listed in the kicker should be in the byline.

categories list in alphabetical order
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:59 AM
conon

21 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks Juggledad.

I have three categories: News, Blog, Featured. All posts got the categories News or Blog before they got assigned to the Featured Category. I tried your suggestion with listing all categories for a post and Featured was listed as the first Category for all posts that also got the 'News' category, but not for the 'Blog' category.

Anyway. I friend helped me with a workaround code below so it excludes my Feature category. So I'm happy now but it still doesn't work as it should do for me with the %category-linked%.

I have no idea if this might have something to do with that I have imported posts, pages, categories etc from an old installation.

Thanks!

PHP Code:
// 1st category, linked

if ( strpos($postinfo_string,'%category-linked%') !== FALSE ) {

$all_categories get_the_category(); 

//Default to first category

$categoryIndex 0;

//If first category is "Featured", select second category

if ($all_categories[$categoryIndex]->cat_ID == 10)

$categoryIndex 1;
$category $all_categories[$categoryIndex]->cat_name;

$category_linked '<a href="' get_category_link($all_categories[$categoryIndex]->cat_ID) .

'">' $category '</a>';

$postinfo str_replace("%category-linked%"$category_linked$postinfo);