Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Languages & Translations »

Entering Chinese characters into Atahualpa options causes all options to reset

Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:20 AM
aeriph

13 posts · Sep 2010
I tried setting up a date format including Chinese characters in UTF-8. After I hit the save button, all of Atahualpa's options had been reset to default.... Are the options fields not set up to take UTF8 input?

Last edited by aeriph; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is the url?
Quote:
I tried setting up a date format including Chinese characters in UTF-8.
where did you do this?
what is the exact text you used?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
aeriph

13 posts · Sep 2010
Thanks for your response.

Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7

Well, I've arlready started going back through redesigning it, but the URL is: http://eastasiastudent.net/

I tried to put this as the contents of 'BYLINE: Single Post Pages':

Code:
By %author%, first published %date('Y 年 n 月 j 日')%
After I saved that, all of the Atahualpa settings reset. I did have backups, but unfortunately they turned out not to work when I needed them. Going to use a variety of backup options from now on.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Atahualpa uses the php date() function. From my reading, it doesnt seem to handle Chinese characters. I did find an example of how to do the translation (http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/pho...?2,19149,34521)

If I could tell you how to put this in the code, would it work for you?

P.s. learn to use the ato->export/import setting options
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:21 AM
aeriph

13 posts · Sep 2010
Yeah I really should have backed up with the ata export, I just thought that my overall backup would cover it. By the way, would it be possible to have Atahualpa auto-export its settings and keep them in a folder with the other files? Say, once a week. Might save a lot of people.

I'm thinking a simple solution to this might be to just put this in for the date:

Code:
%date('Y')% 年 %date('n')% 月 %date('j')% 日
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The atahualpa settings are stored in the database, so a database backup will have them. I use a plugin to backup databases on a regular basis. You can use wp-dbmanager(free) or backupbudy($ but backup the files not just the db)

As for your solution, give it a try
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
aeriph

13 posts · Sep 2010
OK, so I tried the method above, keeping the Chinese characters out of the date function. Same result: Atahualpa completely resets (this time I had the settings backed up though )
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
it must be something else about your environment. I just tried both your examples and this
HTML Code:
By %author%, first published %date('Y 年 n 月 j 日')%
gave me this result
Click image for larger version

Name:	case1.png
Views:	2318
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1955
while this
HTML Code:
%date('Y')% 年 %date('n')% 月 %date('j')% 日
gave me this result