Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] How to link main menu item (without drop-down) to child page

Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:49 PM
dougc

41 posts · Nov 2009
[SOLVED] How to link main menu item (without drop-down) to child page

I've done a search and haven't found this case, hence my question.

I have a Pages menu with "Depth of Page Menu Bar" at 1. I've made submenus with the WP menus. I'd like a click on a main menu item to link to the first item in the submenu. (I'm not putting a link to my website here since it's not ready for primetime.)

I've also set "Don't link first level parent items in Page Menu Bar" to "Yes".

Like this:
Home...About...Info...Contact
About
...About Company
...Credentials
...History

I want it so you click on About and it takes you to About Company. Any ideas? Thank you!

-Doug
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You would make both the main menu and sub-menu with the WordPress menu system and then just create a custom menu item and link it to whatever you want.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:45 PM
dougc

41 posts · Nov 2009
Thanks, Larry. That solves the linking issue.

Now all I have to do is a bunch of research on how to style this dang WP menu!

I put it in a header widget area. Is there another way to place it near the top of my WP site? To get it horizontal?

Thank you!

-Doug
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:58 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Just use %pages in the Style Header Area box and associate the menu in question to it in Appearance > Menus. See this screenshot.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:07 PM
dougc

41 posts · Nov 2009
Well, by searching these forums I got a clue: I had to add %pages back into the Configure Header Area (I had taken it out since I removed my ATA menu--wrong move).

The styling is coming along, though I have some issues with it. Maybe I'll put them in a new thread.

Thank you, Larry! I'll paypal you a donation.

-Doug
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:49 AM
dougc

41 posts · Nov 2009
OK, I admit I should have written better documentation for all this, since I'm only doing my own site and am a total amateur. I will this time!

At my site dougcoe.com I've added a Page under Projects. How do I get the Projects link in the main nav menu to take a visitor to this new Page (Kitchen, Bath, and More)?

I've tried going to the edit Page area and giving the new Page the order of "1" and the next Project Page the order of "2" but nothing changes.

I've even forgotten the difference in having the main nav menu be a WP menu vs a ATA menu! Under ATA>Style & edit HEADER AREA I have %pages in the header. In WP Menus I have Menu 1 drop-down at "top navigation menu". Fyi.

Thank you for any tips!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You just have to add the page under projects as a submenu in Appearance>Menus