Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Multiple / Alternate Sidebars ???

Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
I have the feeling that I might be asking a lot, but I'd really like to be able to have two or three "Right Sidebars":

Right Sidebar Style 1 would maybe have the usual search, RSS and category widgets in it and would appear on my Home, About and Blog pages

Right Sidebar Style 2 would have three text widgets in it and would appear on my Products and Shopping Cart pages

...and maybe there would NO Right Sidebar on some of the other pages.

...and, of course, I'll be wanting multiple LEFT sidebars

I'm thinking I can fake the above by creating a CSS "box", having the width of a sidebar, which I'd float on the right side of the center section. That would be on pages where I had specified "no right sidebar." But, I'm thinking that there might be some clever way of doing this already "built in to the Atahualpa system."

Tnx TTFN Jim
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:17 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This could be done but would require quite a few edits (even though no critical ones). I'll try to get back to this one after I released 3.2.1 which has a few code changes under the hood. Please don't hesitate to remind me
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:28 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Thanks Flynn! I "will be back" as Mr. Schwarzenegger says, as I think having interchangeable sidebars that the user could select to appear on particular pages would be a really nice feature.

As I said, in the meantime I'll "practice" my HTML/CSS and try to create and position a "quasi" sidebar to appear on the side of pages which don't have an "official" sidebar.

I'm also trying to discover the best (smallest? most efficent?) position for the RSS and email subscription thingies.

Thanks again!

Jim
Old Mar 2, 2009, 03:49 PM
phrasewrite

2 posts · Mar 2009
Jim and Flynn-

Without looking like I'm pouncing on Jim's request, this one is similar in a way. I would like to move the left sidebar to a different area of the page. This might even be a solution for Jim but using the right one instead.

Could either of you guys point me in the direction of what file/s I should adjust to just move the position of the left side bar to be a horizontal sidebar over my main content area. See image further below.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to achieve. I think just moving the left sidebar would be less intensive than creating a new sidebar area. Thoughts?

If I just did a terrible etiquette faux-pas by posting the request here, apologies ahead of time ...

Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:23 AM
gofestive

4 posts · Apr 2009
The multiple sidebars idea by Shepherd Jim are exactly what I have been looking for! Has this been implemented yet?

I just installed this theme yesterday and it's awesome, thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:30 AM
Suzie

24 posts · Apr 2009
Though this is a hack to the code, you guys might want to check this thread out.
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=330

That thread discusses putting two additional sidebars at the top (or bottom) but you could easily modify it to make it one wide one. Then in your sidebar options, don't show the left sidebar on any of your pages.

Last edited by Suzie; Apr 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:45 PM
gofestive

4 posts · Apr 2009
Not sure if I quite understand everything in that thread, but will give it a shot. Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:34 AM
Doc GermaniCus

13 posts · Jun 2009
Heilbronn, Germany
YES...! Thats is it!
More flexible sidebar-areas.. like a "top"- / Footer- Bar.. ! The "Footer" may follows directly under the post/ings..