Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Need rollover effect for images in widgets.

Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:15 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
I'm hoping there is a simple way I can do this, so here goes...
I'm working on a site, in which the front page has 8 images that are going to link to interior pages. I would really like to have some sort of hover, rollover, mouseover effect to visually show the activated image. I would be OK with either the background area surrounding the image changing color (simplest I think?) or having the image area switch out to another version of the image I can create, or having some type of transparency/opacity applied to the image...

Currently these images have been placed in the widget areas using the "Simple image" widget as I felt that would be easiest for the customer in the long run rather than using a text widget.

I would prefer to do this via css if at all possible, however I'm at a complete loss as to how to go about it.

I'm running Atahualpa 3.5.3 & Wordpress 3.0.1. I've searched for a plugin to do this, but haven't had any luck. I saw one thread where someone mentioned they were trying to build a plugin like this, but it appears to not have been finished or released.

Last edited by JaneD; Oct 22, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I'm not sure if this is part of TinyMCE editor or if you have to install TinyMCE Advanced but somewhere in there is a an editor button for images that looks like a tree. In the advanced properties of that method of adding an image is a rollover. Here is a screencast of what I am talking about.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:46 AM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
Thanks Larry! I had TinyMCE installed but I never use those advanced image options. So what I did was use the tutorial you provided to create an image in a post with a rollover effect I wanted after uploading a second image. Then I went to HTML view & copied the code. I just used that code in a text widget, changing out the images & link urls.

I would prefer to have it as an option to an image plugin/widget, but using a text widget worked. It's just a little messier for making changes down the road.

I'm honestly shocked that this isn't an option in any of the image handling widgets I've seen. Seems like a no-brainer to me to add those extra options.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Last edited by JaneD; Oct 22, 2010 at 08:50 AM.