Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How do I create a new page template?

Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:27 AM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
This might be a stupid question, but how do you go about creating a new page template while using the Atahualpa theme? I want to create a page that uses a modified version of The Loop, to display posts from only certain categories, but have no idea how to do this, with Atuhualpa!

Your advice is greatly appreciated
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
make a copy of index.php as whatever.php, at the very top of whatever.php put

<?php
/*
Template Name: My page template
*/
?>

Remove code you don't need, add additional custom code, and upload it to the Atahualpa root directory. Go edit or create a new page and the new page template will be listed as "My page template" in a drop down select menu at the top right
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:26 AM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
Ok, thanks for this....I still can't find a solution for what I'm trying to do. Basically, on one of the pages of my site, I would like to display all posts from a certain category, and it's child categories. How do I do this?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 03:06 AM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeThePeg
Ok, thanks for this....I still can't find a solution for what I'm trying to do. Basically, on one of the pages of my site, I would like to display all posts from a certain category, and it's child categories. How do I do this?

Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me with this request...it's holding me back from launching my site
Old Sep 5, 2009, 08:18 AM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
Anyone?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Are you looking for a list of the posts, or the posts themself? and are you looking for it on a static page? you could try this: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...light=page2cat
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:53 PM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
I'm looking for the posts themselves....on a static page.

I'm a bit confused - the link you sent me to that other thread - is that a plugin that I should download and install? And then, do I need to create a new archives.php file?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:03 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Yes install the page2cat plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/

It is super easy to use. The way I've used it is like this. After the plugin is installed create a static page. Then edit the page. Write whatever you want to appear above the posts (as a header) or nothing if it suits you. Then, place a special tag ([catlist=xx] where xx is the id for the desired category) on the page which will indicate which category of posts you want to appear listed on the page. Easy as that! I did do a little bit of tweaking to the way the posts were to be displayed. But, it was easy to do. (I'm no programmer)

In this manner I was able to create a menu of pages that took me to category listings.

Best wishes,
Sharon
Old Sep 7, 2009, 01:20 AM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
Thanks, that worked great, you can the results at http://www.shackn.com/blog

One small problem though - for some reason the "Post footer" is appearing beneath the text at the top of the page. How do I remove this footer beneath the sentence at the top of the page?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) which idea worked great
2) what is the footer?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:33 AM
JakeThePeg

37 posts · Aug 2009
Sorry for being unclear - implementing the page2cat category worked well, after I worked out how to use the special tag [catlist=xx] ( and once I remembered to turn off the Static Page setting for blog posts in my Wordpress Admin!)

Now, if you visit www.shackn.com/blog, you will see there is a grey 'footer' beneath the first paragraph on this page.

I would like to remove this footer, as it is only applicable to blog posts, and not to pages - that is my problemo!