Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Page Navigation for Post Widgets

Old May 27, 2016, 02:04 PM
AsianStarsID

27 posts · Jul 2015
New York
[SOLVED] Page Navigation for Post Widgets

I decided to take a different approach to my homepage and do something like this:

There's a widget for this but how do I edit the page navigation so that if I click say, page 2,3, etc, it shows the next recent set of posts and not the same exact ones as the homepage? it's going to take a while if i decide to do it by editing files instead of a widget.

My website: asianstarsid.com
Old May 27, 2016, 03:13 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'm not quite sure I understand what you want to do. Are you saying that you want the blog posts to show up in columns? or are you just talking about the 'Related Posts' section of your page?

And if there is a widget that will do what you want, why code it into the theme?
Old May 27, 2016, 03:59 PM
AsianStarsID

27 posts · Jul 2015
New York
yea, i basically want my homepage to look like that image above without the "Related Posts" title. but the problem is that if you click on page 2, instead of it showing the next 10 recent posts in those columns, it's the same exact 10 posts as page 1. the page navigation doesn't work for the widget but it works for the excerpts above it. that's what i want to fix

i have the widget installed at the bottom of my site as an example.

Last edited by AsianStarsID; May 27, 2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old May 27, 2016, 05:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
please export your settings (MTO->EXPORT IMPORT) and attach them to a reply
Old May 27, 2016, 05:43 PM
AsianStarsID

27 posts · Jul 2015
New York
Hope I did it right.

Last edited by AsianStarsID; Jun 8, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:31 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
It sounds like you want a masonry type of layout. It's not too difficult. You would first need to modify your postformat.php file to remove the post excerpt (i.e., the text description), and then rearrange the elements so your post title is underneath the thumbnail. The recent posts in the widget don't show a post date or author name, so I don't know if you want to keep them or leave them in.

Then you'll want to add some CSS that formats the posts across four columns (it looks like you'll have room for four in a row). You probably need to resize the font size for the post titles so they will fit in a narrower column. You'll also want to add some media queries to change the number of posts to two across when at a tablet width, and one post across at cell phone width.

I created a sample page here that shows how to arrange posts in two columns. The principles are the same, you just need to make adjustments in the CSS for four columns.