Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

How do I create a - Blog - starting on the 5th level deep unique page

Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Send a message via MSN to Craig Mattice Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Mattice Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Mattice
I know the key to getting the right answer is to first ask the right question. I hope I can explain the Title well enough to solicit the help I need.

Temporary domain: http://s227499057.onlinehome.us/

I have created a "static" church website. I wish to include two separate and unique "Blogs," Pastor's Blog and Photo Blog. I would like only those two pages to have all of the characteristics of a unique Blog yet not have the sidebars and "Posts" activities appear on my static pages. Does this request make sense?

Simply put; Static church website, yet including two unique and active "Blogs" within the site. I wish no post count/link or widgets to appear in the sidebars of the "static pages" yet the standard sidebars on the "Blog" pages along with collapsible link and page type widgets..

How would I set something like this up using widgets and configuration? Is this even possible? I believe it is, with the right knowledge.

I am looking forward to your timely and positive responses.

Thank you,
Craig Mattice
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Suggestion, use wordpress for the whole site.
1) make the front page a static page
2) install 'page2cat' widget and apply the patch in this thread http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...light=page2cat
3) create two categories 'Pastor' and 'Photo'
4) for each of the pastors posts, assign it to the 'pastor' category, same idea for the photos
5) create two pages using the page2cat short code - one for the pastor on for the photos

Now what will happen is only posts with the category 'pastor' will show up on his page and only those with 'photo' will show up on the photo page. You could assign a post to both categories and it would show up on both pages.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Send a message via MSN to Craig Mattice Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Mattice Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Mattice
OMG! You are so totally awesome! This is exactly what I was trying to find, searching everywhere, and just plain trial and error. I knew there was some way to do it with this excellent theme.

Thank you for answering my question in spite of my bumbling method of asking. You seem to have that ability and it is greatly appreciated.

With Sincere Gratitude,
Craig
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:15 AM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
I've reopened this thread as the page2cat plugin no longer exist as far as I can find. My question remains.

Let me simplify. How may I take a current page in my static website and make it so posts or additions to the page may be made and appear in reverse chronological order with the newest addition always to the front of the page.

Parent = http://www.lifebeyondwealth.com/camb.../pastors-blog/

Child continuing on = pastors-blog/content etc. etc. but newest content appearing first on the Child page(s).

Is this making sense? I actually have the two different pages out of the website I would like to be able to do this to.

Thank you,
Craig
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
here is the link to the page2cat plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:43 AM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
With a great deal of effort, I believe I have successfully solved my challenge.

Rather than creating a specific fully functioning Blog within a static website, I found a plugin, ggis Inline Post, which allows the author to Post and attach them directly into the Page. This still creates a unique link to the post which integrates into the widgets for listing Posts etc.

In addition, this allows Postings to maintain their embedded chronological benefits of newest first simply by placement of the shortcode within the assigned page.

Juggledad, correct me if I am wrong, even though there may be one or two additional administrative steps, I believe this will work for me under my circumstances. If you would like you may see the results here: http://www.lifebeyondwealth.com/camb...rs-blog/posts/

I will still install and follow Juggledad's advice and directions and I will not mark this thread solved until he presents his insights. Heck! I could be way off base in my thinking and application.

Thanks,
Craig
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
that's one way, another is to use the bind-to-cat plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bind-user-to-cat/) where you can assign a user to a specific category. All posts they create will be assigned to that category.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
one other observation, you should put the address and phone number on everypage so people can find it easily. I hate having to dig thru a site looking for contact info and a church should make it very easy for someone to contact them.