Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

I have uploaded atahualpa to my server but am getting "fatal error".

Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:16 AM
Dianne

3 posts · Apr 2009
I know nothing about codes and have lost my webmaster for three months. Rather than trying to figure out what she had done with the Kubrick-themed Wordpress, I deleted that one, picked a theme which appeared easier for me to work with (atahualpa), downloaded it, unzipped it then uploaded it to my server into a folder I named "blog".

Now nothing works.

My website is http://www.divatomboy.com. The button for blogs is at the top. (This is something my webmaster had already set up). It says there is an error code in line 3, (which is absolute Greek to me) - and a fatal error in line ten. (This does not sound good)!

Everything is IN the blog folder. (I can see it). What do I do now. =

I would appreciate help SO much!

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Is your old theme still on the server? You can have more than one theme there and switch between them. You need an interface to work with. Did you upload the theme into your /blog/wp-content/themes folder? Did you change or delete anything from the Wordpress installation in /blog? I assume that's where it is.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:58 PM
Dianne

3 posts · Apr 2009
Hi. Thank you SO much for your response!! (And so quickly)!

Is your old theme still on the server? You can have more than one theme there and switch between them.
No, I downloaded my old theme to my desktop. (Though I did have the foresight to save it, in the event something went horribly wrong).

You need an interface to work with. Did you upload the theme into your /blog/wp-content/themes folder?
Is there already a blog/wp-content/themes folder on my server?

Did you change or delete anything from the Wordpress installation in /blog? I assume that's where it is.
No, I didn't change anything from the Wordpress installation that I KNOW of.

But after I had downloaded the older theme from my server to my desktop, I'd deleted the old folder that had been named "blog" and uploaded everything in the Atahualpa folder to a new folder - which I'd named "blog".
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
It sounds like you may have deleted everything then, including Wordpress, if /blog was where it was stored.

See, the theme, in this case, Atahualpa, is, in a sense, the framework through which we see your site. Wordpress is the engine running the site, or in your case, your blog. The default theme that comes with Wordpress, Kubrick, is just a very simple framework to show your blog to the world. When I was first trying all this out a few months ago, I had 15 themes installed! Wordpress lets you try them all out without losing your data. Your data, your posts, are sitting in a database away from the folders where your blog is.

No need to panic. All of this can be downloaded again, and it's free. Lots of people with no prior experience with this stuff are able to set up Wordpress and then add a theme like Atahualpa, so you probably can too. You seem to have FTP access to your server. You could try it yourself, or ask your webmaster to re-do it, or maybe your ISP support folks would install it for you. After it's all in place, Atahualpa is a breeze to work with, especially if you aren't trying to tweak the bejeezus out of it like I do. Flynn has given us a very flexible and customizable theme, and it's only because I'm trying to make Wordpress be a content management system for a large site that I need a lot of extra tweaking.

One thing you will need to know, if you try this, is the path to your WP database, because you have to open up a WP file, wp-config-sample.php, and put in your database name and your username/password. Then when you upload the file, you have to rename it to wp-config.php.

If all this sounds too geeky for words, it is.

It's fun, though, once you get into to it a bit. I've probably confused you even more than you were already, but take heart. All of this can be fixed, and because WP and Atahualpa are free, your only costs will be in time and whatever you may have to pay somebody to set it up again.

Go to http://wordpress.org/download/ and download Wordpress again. Read the Handy Guide, and other good stuff on the site. Email or call your ISP and find out the database information, and/or ask them to do all this installation for you, and then I'll bet you can manage things after that.

Last edited by paulae; Apr 11, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:55 PM
Dianne

3 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you SO much!! I am going to print your response out. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you, thank you!!!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 03:06 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I've been playing with Jing and made this little vid for you. I understand screencast.com is going to be offline for maintenance tomorrow (Sun. April 12). http://screencast.com/t/Nu0ju0fEoR