Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] How can I add div boxes to areas other than the posts/pages content area?

Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
tsheridan

94 posts · Mar 2011
I want to know how I can add div boxes on my page, for example, a div after the footer (creating a widget area won't give me the look I'm after), or a div that I can position absolutely and give a z-index so it will float above another div.
I've not been able to figure this one out, so if anyone can tell me if this can be done and how, I sure would appreciate it.
This is a general question, not for any specific site that I can give a URL to, but I would be using the most recent versions of both WP and Atahualpa.
Thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can put a div in the footer and position. You can put a div in a text widget that you put in the footer that you can position. You could put a div in Edit HTML/CSS Inserts in the body bottom box and position. Bottom line is you can put a div just about anywhere and position absolutely with CSS.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:59 PM
tsheridan

94 posts · Mar 2011
Right, I can figure out how to get a div in the footer and in a text widget, what I want is a div below the footer, so I can move the copyright info below onto just the page background. If I add a div in the HTML/CSS Snippets, will it automatically place it below the last div, inside the wrapper? And if I want to add a div inside the container div, but position absolutely, how can I make sure that it's relative to the container div (hoping that makes sense, sorry). I guess I was thinking that the HTML/CSS snippets were only for styling existing divs not for adding new ones.
I'm used to designing in Dreamweaver and there I can see the layout of my divs and where I need to put new ones. I know I can see the divs with Firebug, but it doesn't help me figure out how to add the new ones exactly.
If I add a widget to the footer area, it will be placed IN the footer, correct? Is there a way I can get that below the footer, because that would work as well.
Thanks so much.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Working in Dreamweaver is certainly different than working with WordPress. Sometimes what you have to do is use CSS to position other elements to make room for a div you are positioning.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
put this in the 'Footer: Content' option
HTML Code:
</p></td></tr><tr>
<td id="myfooter" colspan="3"><p> 
Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
tsheridan

94 posts · Mar 2011
Juggledad, this didn't work. At least it's not the solution I want. It created an area at the bottom with the same color as the page background, but I want to see the bottom of the container and then have the new div below that, after the container.
Also, I still am trying to figure out how to create an absolutely positioned div, say off to the right of right sidebar, but overlapping the right sidebar some. How can I create that div, and then once it's created, how can I add content to it. If I create another widget in the sidebar, is it possible to style that one widget differently than the rest so it has a translucent background, and then move it around, so it's not actually in the sidebar?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you could add a div in there and then position that
HTML Code:
Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved
</p></td></tr><tr>
<td id="myfooter" colspan="3"><div id="move_this"> mystuff </div> <p>
- css inserts
HTML Code:
#move_this {border: solid 1px red;
position: relative; top:200px;}
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:27 AM
tsheridan

94 posts · Mar 2011
Juggledad, your latest suggestion for the footer worked great, thank you!