Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Blank Page (not Suhosin!)

Old Mar 2, 2011, 02:19 PM
Clippership

3 posts · Mar 2011
I am managing five separate Wordpress instances, and two of them are giving me the dreaded Blank Page when I try to upgrade. Here are the facts:
  1. Art Building Children's Dreams was first installed April 2010. It is now at Wordpress 3.1 and Atahualpa 3.5.3. I was able to bump it up from 3.4.9 to 3.5.3, but now have reached a ceiling; any upgrade beyond that gets the blank page.
  2. Mindcamp was first installed June 2010. It is now at Wordpress 3.1 and Atahualpa 3.4.6. When I try to bump it up (either to 3.4.9 or to 3.6.4 or anything between) I get the blank page.
  3. Unfettered Mind was first installed June 2010. It is now at Wordpress 3.1 and I just upgraded from Atahualpa 3.4.9 to 3.6.4 without difficulty
  4. Art Building Children's Dreams (Australia) was first installed June 2010. It is housed on a completely different host. It is now at Wordpress 3.1 and I just upgraded without trouble from 3.4.9 to 3.6.4
  5. FWB is the newest. It was installed last month. It is now at Wordpress 3.1 was installed with Atahualpa 3.6.4

#'s 1, 2, 3, and 5 are housed on one host. #4 (ABCD Australia) is housed on a different host (the "business hosting" level). One would expect that the troublesome sites would be the ones on the same server, but they are not! It is #1 and #2 that are giving us trouble. The other three are not. I can see no consistent element in these two that is missing from the other three; nor can I see anything missing from these two that is present in the other three. I would love a clue.

I read the Suhosin thread with interest and systematically tried all the shenanigans suggested there with the php.ini and .htaccess, but no joy. Then it occurred to me to look at fwb.ca, and to my great surprise I discovered that it is already at 3.4.6 and working fine! Since it is on the same host (and directory!) of mindcamp.org, I infer that the issue isn't Suhosin.

I have tried deactivating and removing all plugins, but no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
just because you have multiple sites on the same host, doesn't mean that they are on the same server and if they are on different servers the code levels of php may be different.

At my host, I did not have the suhosin issue, but I was setting up a customer of mine at the same host and they do have the suhosin issue. They are on a different server (newer and it has suhosin installed.

The easiest thing I know to do to check is to add
HTML Code:
<?php if (current_user_can( 'list_users' ) ) { phpinfo(); } ?>
as the last line of the 'ATO->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->Content BELOW the LOOP' option. This will only activate it you are an admin and logged in.

Then you can search the output for the word 'suhosin'
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:31 AM
Clippership

3 posts · Mar 2011
Thanks for getting back to me so fast! Now I have new information (including more about suhosin) as follows:

The hosting provider wrote back saying "yes we use Suhosin" (I should rename this thread!) so I returned to the Suhosin thread with new determination. For some fortuitous reason I tried the fixes on Site #1, Art Building Children's Dreams, instead of Mindcamp... I hadn't done that before because I assumed the hosting was identical.

Adding "suhosin.executor.include.whitelist = bfa://" to php.ini worked! I was able to upgrade to 3.6.4.

Naturally I immediately went to mindcamp.org and tried the same code modification but no joy.

Differences between the sites:

1. abcdreams.ca was at Atahualpa 3.5.3, mindcamp.org was (and is) at 3.4.6
2. for some reason mindcamp.org was set to php4. I found an "AddHandler php4-script .php" command in the .htaccess file (when did I put that there and why? I should have commented) -- took it out and reset mindcamp.org to php5 (and debugged THAT, long story) but still no joy.

I have been in touch with the host... after the initial "we don't troubleshoot third party scripts" bullshit they've become helpful and interested...so I've described my experiments and asked if they have any thoughts as to precisely why the two sites are behaving differently. I will keep you posted on that.

However in the meantime I have tried your suggestion. Yes suhosin naturally did appear; in case the details are relevant I include them below.

There was also another interesting difference in the line for Registered PHP Streams, as shown below:
https, ftps, compress.zlib, compress.bzip2, php, file, data, http, ftp, bfa (abcdreams)
https, ftps, compress.zlib, compress.bzip2, php, file, data, http, ftp (mindcamp)

AHA!!! "bfa" appears in abcdreams (working) but not in mindcamp (not working). But here's the crazy thing: the line "suhosin.executor.include.whitelist = bfa://" IS in the php.ini file of both. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

-----
relevant output of the Center Column loop is identical in the two:

suhosin.log.phpscript 0 0
suhosin.log.phpscript.is_safe Off Off
suhosin.log.phpscript.name no value no value
suhosin.log.sapi no value no value
suhosin.log.script no value no value
suhosin.log.script.name no value no value
suhosin.log.syslog no value no value
suhosin.log.syslog.facility no value no value
suhosin.log.syslog.priority no value no value
suhosin.log.use-x-forwarded-for Off Off
Old Mar 3, 2011, 01:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I would suspect that they don't allow the php.ini (are ignoring it) in the one that doesn't work or it has to be in a different location.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:56 AM
Clippership

3 posts · Mar 2011
This is now resolved: I created a completely clean install of Wordpress using Atahualpa 3.6.4 in another folder on the same server, and then used phpMyAdmin to import the old database onto the clean install table by table.

The problem table was wp_options, not surprisingly. Some pretty random stuff seems to get thrown into that table: when I rebuilt the installation by going through and re-creating all the WP, Atahualpa, and plugin options) the new table was only 190 variables whereas the old was 350+.

Anyway once I was satisfied the sites were identical I just imported the clean table back into the old DB, corrected the "siteurl" and "home" variables to match the old URLs (they were of course reflecting the new URLs) and now it works fine. I have no idea what the offending variable was but it's gone, and that's good! The important thing is that all my pages, posts and comments were preserved; it took a while to rebuild all the options (just my luck that the import/export option wasn't yet available in the version of Atahualpa I was using) but I learned a lot about working directly with the DB; a useful education.

Thanks for your help.

Franca