Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

visitors adding comments to pages

Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
MandrakeMan

3 posts · Oct 2009
London
Hi,

I'm new to Wordpress, I can build a standard website, but a client wanted the admin features. It's all working fine, and a BIG thank-you for the great template, but I do have an issue you may be able to help me with.
I've created 'pages' for all the sub-pages that are needed but then there doesn't seem to be anywhere for people to 'comment' on the page? This is obviously needed on some pages, like the 'Blog' page, where interaction with visitors is required, so I need to get this working. I've allowed comments on this page and added the code:

%date('F jS, Y')% | %tags-linked('Tags: ', ', ', ' | ')% Category: %categories-linked(', ')% | %comments('Leave a comment', 'One comment', '% comments', 'Comments are closed')% %edit(' | ', 'Edit this post', '')%

to the Atahualpa Options, Footer: "Page" pages, but I think this is incorrect as although the link appears, nothing seems to happen when I click on it.

Can you please let me know what I need to do to make this function work.

Thanks

Chris

www.marinecourtapartment.co.uk
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:02 PM
MandrakeMan

3 posts · Oct 2009
London
Ok, I found the answer here:

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...=page+comments

But, although it now works, I get an untidy and unneeded 'Comments are closed.' after every grey bar which already contains this information, as per:

http://www.marinecourtapartment.co.uk/?page_id=26

Any ideas please??

Thanks

Chris
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you remove the info at ATO->Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS->FOOTER: "Page" Pages then you will see the single line "Comments are Closed' if you have unchecked 'Allow Comments' on the page, or you will see any existing comments and the comment form if comments are allowed.

You don't need the comment part of a PAGE footer because the comments are always part of the page.

It's more important to have that information when dealing with POSTS when on a multi-POST page for readability
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:13 AM
MandrakeMan

3 posts · Oct 2009
London
Hi,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I've removed the footer code and now just have the 'Comments are closed.', which I don't really need appearing on every page. Is there a way of not showing it?

The other question then is, if i want the posting page to me my interactive blog page, can i make another page my homepage and if so, how do I list the 'post' page with my pages list? Hope that makes sense?

Thanks again, and another thank-you for your hard work on this excellent set-up.

Chris
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
To get rid of the 'comments are closed' in ver 3.4.4 edit comments.php and remove lines 65-75
HTML Code:
<?php else : // If there are NO comments  ?>

<?php // If comments are open, but there are no comments:
	if ('open' == $post->comment_status) : ?>
		<!-- .... -->

<?php else : // If comments are closed: ?>

<?php echo $bfa_ata['comments_are_closed_text']; ?>

<?php endif; ?>
NOTE: you will have to do this at each upgrade of the theme

Quote:
if i want the posting page to me my interactive blog page, can i make another page my homepage and if so, how do I list the 'post' page with my pages list? Hope that makes sense?
see WP Dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 12, 2009 at 05:22 AM.