Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Layout shifts on pages that include tables

Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:00 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
Thanks to everyone for their work on the theme and forums--I'm building my first site and have already learned a lot by browsing here.

I am working on a site that is primarily composed of pages. On the pages where I have used tables, my page layout shifts slightly to the left. I want to fix this so that the site stays in the same place when you navigate between pages. I have tried to edit the margins and padding on the Style TABLES options, but this has only worked to shift the table up or down vertically. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, just not sure what it is!

The site is: http://www.newyearsresolutionjournal.com/
The home page does not yet have a table; the Resolutions page does have a table.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:19 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Tables are somewhat of a pain and I only use them when absolutely necessary. One way I sometimes get them to behave is by wrapping them in a div and styling the div. such as with a fixed width etc. Or maybe one of the table creation plugins could help or maybe a column making plugin such as Page Columnist could help you format your pages. I wish I could point you in clearer direction but there are some many variables.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:30 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
Thanks... I was afraid that might be the answer. I started using them as a way to control my layout, but the more I've read about them, the more I think I should go back to doing it another way.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Table, floating divs, columns, and on and on. Someday it WILL get better I hope.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:54 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
Hmmmm... now that I've removed the tables on some of the pages, I'm still experiencing the layout shift issue. I'm wondering if the "home" and "blog" page have separate settings somewhere? All of the other pages were created later...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
And now I'm thinking the common factor may be images? Because when I create a new page that does not have an image, it displays the same as the Home and Blog page. I'll test those settings more.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:27 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
And... I'm giving up for the night. Even after removing an image, I'm still experiencing the problem. Not sure what could be causing this.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:32 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Now you have me intrigued.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
I seem to have made the browser gods mad.

The shifting is more pronounced in Firefox. Home, blog, and test (http://www.newyearsresolutionjournal.com/?page_id=113) pages all are in one position. The other pages are in another.

In Chrome, the home page is in one position; all other pages are in another.

Internet Explorer displays them all in the same place.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:45 PM
mcmoonstruck

7 posts · Sep 2010
Solved! The common factor was page length... when the scroll bar appeared, the page was shifting left to accommodate it. I entered the following code in the CSS inserts:

html, body {
height: 100.1%;
margin: 0;
}
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Now I feel stupid. Good observation.