Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Posts marked sticky don't show up with sticky formatting

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:56 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
I've been loving the configurability of Atahualpa, but now having a problem with sticky posts. It's my first time using stickies so maybe I'm missing something. I have a post marked sticky from the dashboard (and Wordpress confirms to me that it's sticky), yet the formatting that I've indicated in the Atahualpa options doesn't show up. And when I view the source code, there's nothing in that post that indicates that wp is registering the post as sticky. Do I need to change something in index.php for it to register sticky posts?

Test site is at http://www.genevieveraymond.com/michcitizenaction/. It's that top post. Currently I have a graphic in there, but if I can get sticky formatting to work, I'd like to do my best to mimic that image with css.

Thanks,
Genevieve
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What version of WP are you using?

And would you confirm that it is infact a sticky? (go to WP dashboard -> Posts -> edit -. and look to see that the Visibility has STICKY checked off.

I've just tested this with Atahualpa 333 on both WP 2.7.1 and 2.8 and I get different results than you do. There should be the word 'sticky' in the begining <div> for the post.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:28 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Hi juggledad,

I'm using WP 2.8 and visibility is definitely STICKY--says so in visibility and in list of posts. But when I view source, here's the div tag: <div class="post-58 post hentry category-homepage" id="post-58">. No sticky. Using Atahualpa 3.3.3. No idea where to go with this one, so I'd love any suggestions.

Again, page is http://www.genevieveraymond.com/michcitizenaction/, top post (graphic).

thanks again,
genevieve
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:32 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Oh, also, just thought of this--did I read somewhere that you can't check a category for a sticky post? Because right now I have a query_posts to include only posts from the "homepage" category in index.php. So the only way to get that post to show up on the homepage was to stick it in the homepage category. Maybe that's doing something?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Okay this is getting weird and I'm very confused. When I take the query_posts out, exerpts only on homepage stops working. But sticky post DOES work. When I put query_posts back in, excerpts only on homepage starts working again, but sticky post doesn't register as sticky.

I know very little about php, to be clear--I just mess with it to get WP to do what I need it to do and according to other people's directions, but haven't taken the time to learn the logic of it. So not really sure why this would be happening.

(And I have applied excerpts only fix.)

Last edited by genevieve; Jun 19, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
When you mention query Posts, are you talking about the plugin?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:57 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
no, putting

<?php
if (is_home()) {
query_posts("cat=4");
}
?>

above loop in index.php
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
So let me see if I can review what you want to do.

You want to create a category of 'sticky' and have the posts with that category show up as stickies. To that end you added the code in the earlier post to display them.

What I don't understand is why you don't use the built in WordPress stickie checkbox (dasboard->Posts->edit->visibality->edit->Stick this post to the front page)
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:39 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
I am using sticky functionality. I am also using a category of homepage. Only posts in "homepage" category will go on homepage. One of those "homepage" posts will also be checked "sticky" in visibility.

I have put a query_posts function in index.php so that my homepage calls only those posts in homepage category. However, with query_posts in index.php, the custom formatting I've applied to sticky posts doesn't show up.

When I remove query_posts, sticky formatting works again. However, when I remove query_posts, excerpts only no longer works for the homepage (despite having applied the excerpts only fix).

I'm totally stumped. Something is simultaneously affecting:

*sticky visibility
*excerpts only
*ability to use query_posts to include only one category on homepage
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
However, when I remove query_posts, excerpts only no longer works for the homepage (despite having applied the excerpts only fix).
This works for me. Make sure that
1) at ATO->Posts or Excerpts -> Posts or excerpts on HOME page? you have 'Only Excerpts' set
2) at ATO->Posts or Excerpts -> Show the first X posts on HOME page as full posts? you have it set to 1

Test and see if excerpts work on the home page (without the code in index.php)

mean while I'll be looking at the other issue
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:40 PM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
thanks juggledad for persisting with this with me.

i'm not sure what happened, but excerpts only no longer seems to be an issue. sorry that i confused the issue more than necessary.

however, query_posts and sticky visibility don't seem to be compatible. as soon as query posts goes in, sticky formatting doesn't work. are you able to reproduce this?

thanks,
genevieve
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The issue here is that query_posts() is a WordPress function, not within Atahualpa's realm

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:06 AM
genevieve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Okay, thanks. For what it's worth, I DID figure out that all is well if I used query_posts to *exclude* a category. So I've just reworked my categories so that instead of *including* "homepage" category, I'm just excluding everything else. A good enough fix as anything else!